What's new

help with chin

Hello, i've been wet shaving for over a year now and i pretty much have my daily routine down. However one part that still gives me trouble is my chin and right under my chin. I usually shave with the grain, but for it to look clean i have to ATG and it sometimes leads to razor burn and knicks. If i dont go ATG it looks like i didnt shave that area at all. Does anyone have a similar problem and have found a good solution for it? Thank you

That's I tricky one. Hardest part of my face to shave. Especially just under the chin. Now that I am working on straight razor shaving, I am having real trouble here. I literally cannot go ATG under my chin without irritation. For me the secret is a lot of across the grain touch up strokes, at various angles. With a SUPER LIGHT touch.

-Mo

hmmmmm, i tried across the grain on monday and it worked okay. but you are right multiple passes with a very light touch is probably the best solution. I use a gillette adjustable...would putting it on a low level say 1 be a good idea?

I'm not big into adjustables, so I'm not sure. I would definitely play around with different settings to see.

-Mo

Also a trouble spot for me. Just like you, if I didn't do ATG, it was like I hadn't shaved. I have gotten better. I now do ATG on multiple passes, but it is super light and I have to very careful. I rarely have trouble there any more.

Funny I was just thinking today about posting on this very topic. I completely solved my chin problem with the position of my chin when I shave it. What I mean is this don't stretch your face (Like your making a big oooh sound. Just jut your chin out and shave it! When I do this I get zero razor burn and a close shave. Keep mindful of a light touch and this works great.

Funny I was just thinking today about posting on this very topic. I completely solved my chin problem with the position of my chin when I shave it. What I mean is this don't stretch your face (Like your making a big oooh sound. Just jut your chin out and shave it! When I do this I get zero razor burn and a close shave. Keep mindful of a light touch and this works great.

This is an excellent point. Experiment with stretching the skin, not stretching it, jutting your chin out, opening your mouth, using your fingers to move the skin around to a flatter location, etc.

-Mo

The chin jutting advice, while it initially resulted in a shave that was less irritating but not nearly as close, really has helped me turn the corner on the chin. My chin shave still sucks, but at least I don't have to worry as much about the burn. My technique is improving steadily and I imagine one day it will actually be good. It's all about adjusting to the angles without using additional pressure while knowing the direction in which your hair is actually growing.

I've got about a dime size area just on the right side of my underchin that gives me fits. No matter how I attack it, I can't seem to get it as smooth as everywhere else. I'm starting to think if I let it grow out it would be a cowlick (spiral growth pattern). I pretty much live with it. Salve myself with the idea that, like alot of my oddities, it gives me character.:tongue:

Top Bottom