What's new

Feather vs. Gillette Silver Blue: It's a close one! (Literally)

First off, I'd like to sat thanks to Xillion for PIF'n some blades for me to try. He really went above and beyond and I now have 4-5 different blades to stack up against the Feather. My goal in all this was to find something as sharper or even sharper than a feather. Prior to this I tried Astra SP and a few other well known "sharp" blades. I was using Personna Labs before switching to Feathers. I found Feathers to be far superior in sharpness to the Labs.

I naturally grabbed for the Gillette Silver Blues as the first blade to test being that it was the one everyone said was a contender.

Equipment: Fatboy. Technique: 7 on WTG, 6 on XTG, 5 on ATG, 4 on ATG across the throat. 3 pass shave.

First shave...damn impressive. I did not feel any noticeable "tugging" Blade was smooth and sharp. All three passes went off without a hitch. Alum block told me that there was minimal irritation.

I then switched to the Feather for my next shave 3 days later. I felt maybe a SLIGHT edge in sharpness. There was absolutely positively NO tugging at all. Didn't seem as smooth as the Gillette Silver Blue but likely a touch sharper.

I'll keep you guys updated as I plan to continue with this.

To me the Blues were way smoother than the Feathers (in a Futur). Love the Gillette blacks as well, which are currently my go-to blades.

At some point I'd like to try the Feather blade in the stainless Feather razor, but for now other blades are way smoother and very close in sharpness.

I think the Silver Blues are the only blade sharper than the legendary feather. Shame they were discontinued

I really like Feather blades. That said, of the 32 different kinds of blades I've tried so far I'd have to say that the Silver Blues are my favourite of all. Since they are no longer being made I have stock piled a few. Enought so that I will be able to use them for the rest of my life, included in a rotation of Feathers, Med Prep/Lab Blue, Super-Max Super Platinum, Iridium Supers, 7 O'Clock Blues etc.

$Gillette Silver Blue 700.jpg

They aren't making them anymore?
They are great blades. I have some and they are about the only thing I can use other than a feather

At this point in my DE shaving life (about 15 months since I started) I prefer the Silver Blues to Feathers. They seem to give me a closer shave with less irritation.

I just had (4) excellent shaves with a Silver Blue. Of all the blades that are perceived as a near equal to Feather, this might be the blade where I agree with that perception. I still don't think it's as sharp but, unlike most of the other highly regarded blades, it's SHARP ENOUGH and it's more forgiving than the Feather. If the Feather went away this would be my first choice today in an alternative.

I see that although it's discontinued it's still available online in quantity. It costs more than a Feather but less than a NOS Super Iridium which many users are willing to pay a premium for.

If you like the Feather but think its too unforgiving and you're OK paying a little extra, I'd get these while their still on the shelf.

If anyone has some that would like to trade for Super Iridiums let me know.

I just bought 500 from Lee's safety razors after reading this thread. His site states that what he has in stock is it. Didn't say how much was left.

I have actually never tried them before, but since I am a fan of feathers and SI's I thought I must grab some. I figure if I don't like them, I know some people that would probably be happy to lighten me of my burden. :thumbup:

Had another shave with a blue this morning. This time i stacked it up against heavy scruff. Almost a semi-beard. 4 days growth to be exact. The blade is definitely NOT as sharp as a feather. However, it is very smooth. My XTG and ATG passes went very smooth and without a snag.

I always use my pre-fukushima daiichis for end-of-the-weekend whiskers--right tool for the right job. If I am aiming for near BBS, the Silver Blues are very efficient ATG since they are esp. smooth and sharp.

I had the best shave of my life, besides them all after switching to wet shaving, I had to tell someone who'd appreciate it. I used my Futur, for which we've had a love / hate relationship since it came to the den..... Especially as I paid way too much for it as a brick and mortar chain, when I could have purchased for nearly $30 less art one of the awesome on-line retailers this forum has introduced me to. I used it on a day and a half worth of growth on Thursday (I always have just a chin goatee) with usual shower prep, pure-shave oil, Cade cream (bowl lather), a Vulfix super badger brush, and a new Personna Red blade. I had it set at 2. It tore me up and left me raw (as well as a nice gash at my nostril) after a WTG pass, and an ATG pass (at 1), with a light touch-up (single pass) along the jaw line (all with rinse and re-lather, of course). So, I spent the next few days nursing my face with TOBS Mr. Taylor gel, L'Occitane after shave balm, and the likes, so I could try again last night, more or less to see if I was going to keep it. WOW! Usual prep, pre-shave oil, Bigelow (Proraso under different label at Bath & Body) cream with a few drops of glycerin, Vulfix, and a new Gillette Silver Blue. Had the Futur set at 3, for pass #1 WTG, and an immediate touch-up of jaw line (did cheat and use my 34C for nostril area). Rinse and re-lather between all passes. Pass #2 ATG, set at 1.5 (from ear to center line, and across upper lip both times, and from ear to esophagus). Pass #3 ATG, still at 1.5 (from center line to ear, and esophagus tho ear). A little touch-up at corner of mouth, goatee, and sideburns. No nicks, or cuts, or irritation. Cold water rinse, alum block (not the flaming sensation from the previous shave) kept on while I cleaned up tools. Cold water rinse of alum block, Lucky Tiger AS splash, air dry then Proraso AS Green splash (to close it all up), and finished with Proraso Blue balm, and went to bed. My face feels like a million bucks, and still almost BBS 14 hours later (usually scruffy by now). I attribute out all, to the amazing (and overlooked by me) Gillette Silver Blue. They cut the growth (not drag the face, as it feels sometimes with the usual Feathers) so close, with no drag...... felt like blade was missing on 2 & 3. My new razor blade, HANDS DOWN! And all with a razor I was ready to get rid of. How have I missed these? Just ordered 100 on Amazon! Amazing! Apologize for the long winded post, but I had to tell the whole story, and how I came to find the best blade ever. Sharp, smooth, and...... Perfect!

GSB's seem to be in stock at multiple locations online. Are they really discontinued?

Maybe they are, maybe not, all I know is the sell of GSB just went up from online retailers. LOL

I do know that they are still available for $25 CND on amazon.ca with free shipping. I currently have way too many blades to start worrying about running out soon, so I think I will use up my stock before even considering panicking. Beside, for the price I prefer the feathers, they seem to last longer in my situation and give the same shave.

Currently these are my top "go to" blades. I prefer the Feathers, but the GSB's aren't too far behind. The Feather give me a closer shave, but the GSB's are a bit smoother.

Currently these are my top "go to" blades. I prefer the Feathers, but the GSB's aren't too far behind. The Feather give me a closer shave, but the GSB's are a bit smoother.

I guess that was what I was looking for, I also felt the GSB was not as sharp as a Feather but it was much easier to shave with. I am not sure if easy makes a difference for me. I just want the closest shave I can get. It sounds like I should stay with Feather ? I use a Feather AS-D2 Razor.

Necro-thread here guys (2012).. They're not discontinued, as far as I know.

I love how blades become scarce and then sometimes reappear (not always). Now it seems the 7 O'clock Super Platinum from Russia is available again. I am not sure about GSBs because I haven't seen any without the four old wax dots, but maybe someone else has.

Top Bottom