Thread: tool to re-use used DE blades

Default tool to re-use used DE blades

Been DE shaving for about 3 months now, and I have 4-5 old blades (I stuff them in the bank on the back of the Shark dispenser/cases). I was piecing back together a remote with some gaffers tape (for the non-theater folk), and was trying to cut a clean line in the tape with a regular box cutter, and it just wasn't cutting clean enough, even with a relatively new blade. The thought occurred to me--those "old" DE blades are still a hell of a lot sharper than any of the knives in my house--why don't I use one of them? I gripped it by the middle, paranoid that I'd slip and bend it into my hand--but it cut through the tape like...well, like a razor through tape, obviously.

Anyway, I know the blades are a bit too thin to be used in any heavy duty work, but for crafting or other light tasks, they're perfect. Do any of you know of any tool similar to the aforementioned box cutter that would take a DE blade in it? Even though they're a bit too dull to comfortably shave with, they've still got a bit of useful sharp in 'em, and it'd be nice to be able to use them without fear of chopping my fingers off.

If no one's heard of anything, maybe one of you gents with some CAD experience could design something that could be printed by Shapeways...
    Last edited by klundtasaur; 07-09-2012 at 11:44 AM.

You've only used 5 blades in three months how many shaves you getting off a blade.?
    Merkur 39c,Muhle R89,Feather AS-D1,weber DLC,Ikon SK9.

I think what your looking for can be found with a Shavette.
    You can tell anyone anything, as long as you do so respectfully. BOTC, TOFLAC-U

Quote Originally Posted by deafficianado View Post
    +1. Get a Parker shavette. It'll hold a DE blade snapped in half very securely. That would be your best bet.
    Please don't tempt me to buy anymore.

Many hardware stores have single edges razor blades with a thick piece of metal on one end making them safe to hold by that edge. I think that is exactly what you are describing.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by RobinHood68 View Post
    You've only used 5 blades in three months how many shaves you getting off a blade.?

I typically only shave twice a week; and sometimes it's just my neck that I shave. My lady likes me with a bit of scruff :)

Quote Originally Posted by deafficianado View Post

Quote Originally Posted by drocu View Post
    +1. Get a Parker shavette. It'll hold a DE blade snapped in half very securely. That would be your best bet.

Oh, man, I didn't even think of that! That's a perfect idea. Wire trimmers would handily cut off one edge from a DE blade, and then I can just pop it in there. And then, should I feel so inclined, I'm only a bit of courage away from learning to straight-razor shave. Thanks, guys!

Quote Originally Posted by klundtasaur View Post
    I typically only shave twice a week; and sometimes it's just my neck that I shave. My lady likes me with a bit of scruff :)

Oh, man, I didn't even think of that! That's a perfect idea. Wire trimmers would handily cut off one edge from a DE blade, and then I can just pop it in there. And then, should I feel so inclined, I'm only a bit of courage away from learning to straight-razor shave. Thanks, guys!
    DE blades easily break in half without use of wire cutters. :-)

I break them in half a wrap it in tape. use it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by klundtasaur View Post
    Do any of you know of any tool similar to the aforementioned box cutter that would take a DE blade in it?
    You can easily snap them in half and use them in a cut throat or a straight razor to cut anything from grass to boxes.

This is an awesome idea! I was given a shavette for xmas, I tried to shave with it, and it was just horrible. :( Compared to a standard straight razor, at least... Now, I have a use for it, and for those used blades that are piling up in old blade banks. Excellent!
    Knight of the Veg Table || BOTOC || SABRE
    JB Shave count: 56 || W&B Shave count: 13 || Jolly Razor shave count: 11
    Dustin - Happy Steward of the Straight Razor forum

Questions, ideas, or concerns? PM me

Help Support B&B by becoming a Contributor | Forum Terms of Usage