What's new

NexlevMM's Brush Restore Thread

So I figured since i'm gonna be doing a few more restores in the near future, I wanted my own thread.:001_tt2:
I'm gonna start this one off with the obligatory Ever-Ready 200T restore, which was actually the first brush I found in the wild.

Restored with a Whipped Dog Silvertip Badger knot (If you haven't dealt with Larry, he is a pleasure to buy from) set at 45mm loft. Sanded it down with 400 all the way around, and rounded off the top edges to give it a different look.

Before
proxy.php

After (Huge thanks to Hig789 for the Polish on this one!)
proxy.php

Thanks for looking. More to come soon!

NwxlevMM:

Great job! I really like how you rounded the edges off. IMO, it actually looks a lot better than it did when it was new.

Enjoy your brush and your shaves and please post some post bloom photos.

Don

Looks great! The rounded edges are nice. These handles, in my opinion, are sharp on the bottom and need to be rounded.

Looks great! How are you digging the silvertip?

The silvertip was a lot softer than I anticipated, and took up a bunch more water, so my lather with MWF came out a bit foamy. I guess it takes some getting used to.
proxy.php

Bloom Pics
proxy.php

proxy.php

Late night West Coast bump!

Vintage Simpsons W4L Restored! Had this one for quite a while, just got caught in an Aftershave AD and didnt get a knot.
Threw in a TGN 22mm Short Loft Best Badger knot set at 45mm. (Probably the only knot I'm ever going to buy anymore. I love this thing.)
Bloom pics to follow once it cures!

I got this brush a while back from a day of antique shop hunting, its the one in the middle. Didnt take many before pics for some reason.
proxy.php

After a Polish and new sticker from Progress Vulfix
proxy.php

proxy.php

Thanks for looking.:thumbup:

Last edited:
Thanks guys!
Haha Chris, I think this already became my new favorite, but you're my go-to guy if I need to get rid of it.:thumbup:

Matt, You're going to love Best Badger!! The only thing to compare it to is a woman's breasts, thats how great it is to me. :lol:

Bloom Pic as promised. The term coined by my ladyfriend for short loft bloom is "BunnyTail." And I cant help but agree with her haha. I forgot to mention, but this brush reminds me of the current line of Commodore brushes from Simpson. I assume its the great great grand pappy of that brush.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope they are waiting when I get home the 22mm best is going in my Keyhole 4. I can't wait. I still love the shape of yours.

Another Simpson, a butterscotch Tulip.
It reads:
Army & Navy
Stores London
Pure Badger
Simpson​

It was still in good shape, so I just hand polished with some Flitz. Couldnt fill in the letters because they were too shallow, so just left them as is. Almost didnt want to restore it because the knot looked good, but had lost all its scrubiness, so I threw in an 18mm TGN Best Badger. Enjoy.

Before
proxy.php

After new knot and Polish
proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
Last night's restore.

Im not really sure who the maker of this handle was, since it had a name I wasnt familiar with. Here it is with a TGN 22mm Best Badger knot, the original nylon one just fell out when I pulled on it.

Before
proxy.php

proxy.php

After
proxy.php

Local antique shop find.
Sanax Set in Rubber Black on Butterscotch

Originally had some ugly old Boar knot in it. Switched it out with a TGN 20mm Best, and threw some pennies in as a shelf, this thing is super hefty now.

As found
proxy.php

After a Polish
proxy.php

Knot set
proxy.php

Top Bottom