What's new

Face Lathers United :) Do you prefer to face lather ?

I face lather more often than not these days.
It gives me a better overall shave, I can get a thicker and more dense yoghurt like lather, which is difficult to produce in a scuttle or bowl IMHO

I still enjoy scuttle lathering, but overall I'm a closet face lather freak :biggrin1:

My face skin tends to be a bit irritated if I face lather on short stubbles - but Proraso Pre shave will minimize my skin irritation from this.

Why are your preferred method face lathering and did you start with bowl or face lathering ?

Last edited:

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
As long as you know what you are doing there's no overall better lathering method. I can get exactly the same quality of lather on face, on palm or in a bowl/scuttle. That said, I definitely prefer to face lather both soaps and creams. To me it's just quicker.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
As long as you know what you are doing there's no overall better lathering method. I can get exactly the same quality of lather on face, on palm or in a bowl/scuttle. That said, I definitely prefer to face lather both soaps and creams. To me it's just quicker.

+1. Spending more time softening whiskers by building lather on face compared to building lather in bowl works better for me also.

After I started to face lather with Arko, I just left the bowl alone..Now all I do is face lather with tallow soaps.

I started with the bowl lathering and when someone told me about face lathering I thought they were playing a joke on me. I gave it a try and it works well just as good as using the bowl which I prefer. Not sure why but I would guess it's the whole warm up the brush and bowl routine and I love making lots of lather, I also really like my bowl so that adds to the pleasure.
:thumbup1:

During the winter I only face-lather about 25% of the time as I enjoy the luxury of a delightfully warm super-lather from my scuttle. But once summer hits, it's face-lathers 100% of the time. This causes a fairly significant change in my brush rotation as I have brushes I favor for face vs. bowl. Lately, I've been on a German & French soap kick and a well loaded brush or either will deliver multiple passes of fantastic lather.

When I started Wet shaving in Feb, I did not understand why I would want to face lather. I arbitrarily decided that bowl lathering was better. I decided to give face lathering a proper trial at the beginning of last month and my bowl has not been touched since. I really like it and feels like I get better shaves. I think this may be due to a longer lather on face time. It does make it bit more of a mess in my bathroom though.

I like bowl lathering, as I like my lather on the wet side and when I face lather it gets kinda messy! Lather just flies everywhere... That's just my personal experience and preference!

I face lather soaps almost all of the time, with an occasional run in the bowl with Bigelow when I have a bit more time and I want the menthol kick.

Started with a bowl and cream now it's pretty much soaps and face lathering for me. The creams now are used mostly in conjunction with soaps. I love the extra face massage and the warmth of my face and agitation from whisker growth seem to give me a nicer lather in general.

Face lather only, with a brush scuttle in the winter. I used a bowl for maybe the first year. Can't face lather with scratchy pure badger I had at first, and then got too dry of lather initially, which turned me off of it. But then I saw the light :biggrin1:

Face lather 100%.

I started with a bowl, because I was impressed with the gobs of lather I could whip up in it. But after taking the loaded brush straight to the face, I left the bowl in the cabinet.

I do use a scuttle, but I bought one with a bowl about the size of my largest brush. I use my scuttle only for keeping the lather and brush warm, not for making lather.

Top Bottom