What's new

For those who started wet shaving from teenager, what did you use to begin with?

1976. Williams mug soap. Old spice brush (boar?) . Red tip Supper speed ( How I wish I had hung on to that thing). Then in the early 80's switched to Carts & Goo. Came back to my senses in 2005.

Started on electric razors (Braun and Remington models) in the mod-1970s.

Switched to carts & goo in the late 1980s.

Replaced the goo with badger and soap about 6 years ago and converted to a DE a year later.

I don't remember the first thing I shaved with but I recall getting my Grandfather's Schick Injector in a brown case so that was probably it. I was too young to shave when he passed in our kitchen. As many others I only wish I had all the different razors I've used over 50 some odd years. I do have my Father's straight and while nothing special I will never get rid of it.

Last edited:
My Dad put out what I now know to be a BIC SE sensative with a cheap soap stick and no brush. I was a mere boy of 13. IT only helped me try a GII then a DE.

lol well i am 20 so i will give you my short history with shaving. I used drug store brand disposables when i was like 15 or 16. then i was given a norelco 360 its blades wore out and then i saw how much they cost, Then i quickly bought a Muhle razor and a drug store brush and Williams i don't think i will ever shave with a disposable again or electric for that matter!

My first shave was in November 1951 on my 15th birthday.

I only remember the razor was a TTO Gillette, so it must have been a Super Speed.

I used canned goo, probably Gillette.

Since Gillette was the only name I knew, I probably used a Gillette Blue Blade.

I didn't use shave lotion until I was about 20, as I didn't appreciate the value and purpose of it. The first shave lotion I used was a now defunct brand called "Kings Men" that was a high school graduation gift. It was a set of after shave and cologne. I didn't understand the difference, so I used them interchangeably after shaving

My first razor was a Gillette Techmatic. The blade was a ribbon. You turned the handle to advance the ribbon to a new cutting edge. A can of Colgate shave cream. I have a scar on my right cheek from that razor. Worst razor Gillette ever invented. I should have kept it as a souvenir. I replaced it with a Gillette supper speed silver tip. Wonderful razor. I still use it.

That was my second razor. I tried for a year to make the thing be good. But I gave it up too. No scars for me, but I learned the real deeper meaning of razor burn from that wicked device.

I replaced mine with a beard for a few years.

$razor_op_600x600.jpg

I am reincarnated.
Cream was camel lard and olive oil.

Last edited:
Gillette Sensor. They sent one free in the mail to you when you turned 18 years old. I could never afford the cartridge refills though as a poor college student. Before that, I just used disposable razors.

Ben

Gillette Sensor. They sent one free in the mail to you when you turned 18 years old. I could never afford the cartridge refills though as a poor college student. Before that, I just used disposable razors.

I am still puzzled by that. Is it an American thing for companies to send you free stuff in the mail?

Hi,

Yup! I have had one of every new cart razor from Gillette, starting with the Atra, show up in my mailbox shortly after their release. I figured out that this was due to my subscription to the magazine Auto Week. One time my name was misspelled on the magazine, and two razors (I think it was the M3) showed up. One with my name correct, and one with the unique misspelling. ;)

Stan

Top Bottom