What's new

Illinois no. 361

I bought a new Illinois no. 361 strop a few months ago, and haven't really used it all that much. It's the one that has a barber's end and is made from cowhide. At first, I noticed that there were two or three wrinkles across the width of the leather, and now, in using it more recently, I notice that there are several more like this, going across the width and along the entire length (it's been hanging in a closet). Judging from the past two shaves that have resulted, and in looking at the edge with a 20x loupe each time, it doesn't seem to hurting the edge of the blade, although the wrinkles can be felt as the blade passes over them.

Can anyone verify that this is normal with the no. 361 strops? And in any case, is the bumpy ride going to be a serious technical problem rather than just cosmetic? Apart from this, and apart from it sort of feeling like stropping on cardboard while new, the no. 361 seems like it might be ideal for newbies as the surface seems damn near indestructible.

Last edited:
I bought a new Illinois no. 361 strop a few months ago, and haven't really used it all that much. It's the one that has a barber's end and is made from cowhide. At first, I noticed that there were two or three wrinkles across the width of the leather, and now, in using it more recently, I notice that there are several more like this, going across the width and along the entire length (it's been hanging in a closet). Judging from the past two shaves that have resulted, and in looking at the edge with a 20x loupe each time, it doesn't seem to hurting the edge of the blade, although the wrinkles can be felt as the blade passes over them.

Can anyone verify that this is normal with the no. 361 strops? And in any case, is the bumpy ride going to be a serious technical problem rather than just cosmetic? Apart from this, and apart from it sort of feeling like stropping on cardboard while new, the no. 361 seems like it might be ideal for newbies as the surface seems damn near indestructible.
Im sad nobody commented on this. Was hoping to find out how it is. Any update now that years have passed haha?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Wrinkles technically won't hurt anything but are distracting as you will feel them every time you strop. More common on factory made strops as it seems some choose to use every inch of a hide rather than only cutting from the best spots and finding other uses for the less than prime areas or just chalking the flawed areas up as waste.

I also have an IRS 361 strop that I’ve been using for about 10 years. IIRC it also had a less than smooth finish. Not wrinkles, more like bumps.
Something I learned involves using a pumice stone, the white, extremely fragile ones, found at beauty supply stores for foot care, to help break in a new strop. The method is to apply thick shaving lather to the face of the strop and then lightly rub the lather into the strop with the pumice. I then wipe off the lather (and any possible remnants of pumice) with a damp rag. I finish with another application of lather rubbed in with the palm of the hand. Follow this with two applications of strop dressing 24 hours apart or as needed. All of this performed on a smooth, hard, flat surface such as a quartz countertop. I use this method with new strops, and also to help recondition vintage strops. This will clean the strop as well as dress the surface of the strop.

Could be the leather just needs hydrating, add some oil.

To smooth, I use a sharp cabinet scraper to cut off the high spots, you can use a sharp large kitchen knife and scrape, but I would hydrate and roll it first.

It is unknow how long a factory strop has sat on the shelf in a hot warehouse, and how long the leather was tanned prior to being cut into strops.

Yea, factory leather quality cannot compare to hand-built strops. For about the same price you can buy one of Tony’s excellent entry level strops.

Stropping on leather is your last chance to polish, straighten and perfect the edge. Buy the best quality leather strop you can afford.

BTW, Tony’s Flax linen is a game changer.

Top Bottom