What's new

Love my r41 and my fatip.Now which Gillette open comb?

Been using the Muhle r41 and the Fatip and just love shaving with these razors.
But i love vintage gillettes.
Now my question is which vintage gillette open comb should i be looking to purchase that will perform relatively like these 2 beasts i have.
Nothing to expensive as if it does the job good it will go straight to get replated.
Thank you.

Single ring, New Improveds, or Big Fellow are good choices.
The New and the Goodwills are nice too but less aggressive.
Aaron

This. I've fallen in love with my NI Big Fellow ... a fantastic shave. R41 is still my go-to, but I'd take a New Improved as my one and only if I had to, without complaint.

Single ring, New Improveds, or Big Fellow are good choices.
The New and the Goodwills are nice too but less aggressive.
Aaron

If you like the Fatip, the Old types are a good way to go just tried my fatip for first time tonight, and its up there with my old type which has been around for some time now as far as my preferences go

The old types seem to be interesting to me also.
Now i got to try to find one in a nice shiny condition or i will have more replating to worry about as i really like shiny razors.
Thanks again for the cool pictures.

My old style Big Fellow is the nicest shaver A I have. Though not quite as agressive as a Fatip- it is actually a better shaver. Have not tried a R41 as of yet.

I have a Fatip(nickel grande), Old Type, Long Comb New, and Short Comb New. I would say that the Old Type lies in between the Short Comb and the Long Comb. The Short Comb for me shaves very similar to the Fatip.

The problem with the Old Type for me is that it is very picky on blades, whereas the SC New and Fatip have worked with everything I have loaded them with. Not to mention the blade loading on the Old Type takes more thought(and eyesight) than I have in the morning before coffee, so it gets loaded at night.

The thing about the old types is that nobody wants them. You can find a cased old tyoe with blade vault for $10. Uh, not a "pristine" one of course.

I have collected razors for 3 years and I use them all. I have about 45 razors, DE and SE.

My favorite razor is a 1921 Giilette New Improved Standard OC plated in silver.

Top Bottom