What's new

Difference Between DE shaving and Straight?

I'm still somewhat murky about what exactly the difference between a shave with a de and a shave with a straight is. does one shave closer? is one better for people with more sensitive skin (e.g. more issues with razor burn, ingrowns, and just irritation in general). or is just one of those personal preference things?

Just curious. trying to explore this whole wetshaving world as extensively as i can. straights seem like an amusing (albeit, something probably in the somewhat distant future) hobby to pick up :biggrin1:

I guess my main question is this: let's say someone has switched from a cartridge to a DE. They're getting much better shaves than they were when they were using a cartridge. Now let's fast forward a year, and they've gotten down the whole DE shaving thing, but there are still a few spots here and there that get irritated. Now, would be switching from a DE to a straight be the same time of increase in shaving comfort that the original switch from the cartridge to the DE was?

The reason I ask is because I've read about people who were still getting irritation from a DE and that the only solution for those illustrious perfect shaves was switching to a straight

Now, would be switching from a DE to a straight be the same time of increase in shaving comfort that the original switch from the cartridge to the DE was?

Now, I shouldn't be answering this, because I don't have the experience with straights to really say. But I am pretty sure, most of the time, for most guys, the answer is no. I don't think it is going to be nearly as big a difference in quality as from cartridge to DE. If any.

But I'm sure for some people, it my be the only was to get rid of some irritation spots. Who knows - everything is the best for someone.

-Mo

I would say for most - a straight will be MORE irritating, at least for the first initial 3-5 months. Shaving with a straight razor, and keeping the shave comfortable isn't so much learning how to shave with a straight, but rather how to keep it as sharp as it needs to be, to get that amazing shave. Sharpening razors, and keeping them sharp can NEVER be perfected, and is something you can always get better at. It doesn't take but a few weeks to learn how to "shave" with a straight, but it takes quite some time to learn how to keep it "make a scalpel blush" sharp.

I feel there is no better shave than with a straight razor - but there is a TREMENDOUS learning curve compared with that of a DE, and it is not something to be taken lightly.

It's like learning how to drive a car, versus learning how to ride a motorcycle. The experience, fun and the "results" of the motorcycle will be vastly superior to a car, yet it takes significantly longer to learn, has greater "risks" and takes a lifetime to "master."

Hope this helps...

M

modern man

SR, I get a closer shave with less passes and zero irritation.

DE, I have to take more passes and more likely to get irritation.

HOWEVER, I hate maintaining one. The Feather "No Sharpen" is a god send for me.

I was just thinking about this this morning. First, I get much smoother shaves from a straight. I can easily shave without cream with a straight. I can get a little closer with a straight too. The learning curve is pretty damn high though. Probably higher than most DE shavers can even imagine really.

From a practical standpoint I think if your shaving small areas like armpits or the goatee area a DE is best. If your shaving big areas like the sides of your face or the back of your neck the straight rocks.

But who on earth thinks like that?

I think you either have to shave with a straight or you don't. For a long time I got horrible shaves from a straight, but I couldn't stop. Even with a DE sitting on the sink the straight just calls to me. I don't personally see any reason to convince anyone to use a straight though. I think it would be fine if I was the only one left in the world.

What I find though is that once you ask, the bug might already be biting; and once you have a straight in the house, the obsession will likely grab you and control you, forever. I think you might already be done for, you just don't realize it yet. Once you hold your razor in your hands and not just a metal blade holder you'll be in big trouble.

I will have to concur with AFDavis, once you have a straight (or 7) in the house you will feel guilty using anything but. I started DE shaving 8 months ago, and began using straights 6 months ago. My straight shaves are finally consistently good but I am still working on many many things like blade angle and pressure on certain areas of my face.

That being said, a straight gives me a smoother, longer lasting shave than my DE - usually about 2 hours more without stubble. Both are fun, but a straight takes much more concentration or you'll slice yourself apart. This adds to the enjoyment for me. However, if I am in a hurry my DE is the way to go, if I have the time I will only use a straight. Plus, some of the scales are just so purty!!! :001_tt1: :001_tt1: :001_tt1:

I am glad that I took up DE shaving first, as it helped me understand blade angles, pressure, etc...it made the switch to straights a bit easier.

Good luck and have fun.

Yup - it takes a lot of learning and care. In the beginning you are likely to get worse results, for various (potentially numerous) reasons. But I'd have to say you *can* get better shaves with a straight.

The learning and subsequent care (more like a relationship, really) is also an additional pleasure for me - but for someone else it may not be so.

Good luck
Ivo

Having only been using a straight for 1 week I am in no way qualified to comment really, but what I can say is: Yesterday, the straights and strop were for sale, today I am thinking which to buy next! This morning, something happened, I'm not entirely sure what mind you, but I did really pay attention to my stropping and the direction of growth of my beard in all areas of my face, and apart from a cut on my chin, I acheived a lovely close shave with very little irritation ( I just noticed a couple of red lines at the bottom of my neck where I think I maybe pressed too hard) I even managed a very light ATG pass. Either side of my adams apple is smoother than I achieved with a DE with less irritation (I always used to get some redness no matter what) I also got awkward areas like either side of my mouth and just under my nose much cleaner more easily. Now I'm hooked. The DE will gather dust.

Hello Paul. I am glad you are back with us. I have just made the switch from DE to SR and couldn't be more pleased. I think my main success is primarily due to shave ready razors and much study before starting. I have the Lynn DVD and hit these straight razor forums for information which gave me a head start. Now all I need is practice.

bj

R

rum

I think you have some good answers there, DGalt. However, there's a few things I'd like to touch-up on (pun not intended):

I got into DE's and eventually straights, having had a lot of trouble from cartridges that were giving untidy, rough shaves, but worse of all gave me monster-sized ingrown hairs and razor bumps all over my face.

In my opinion, there is no better shave with a straight.
Slight deviation: By 'straight' I don't mean anything with a disposable blade like a shavette or equivalent. I mean a steel blade that needs to be stropped every time before use and honed once every blue moon. I started with a shavette and whilst it wasn't bad, it was noticeably far from perfect. It wasn't until I got started on a 'proper' straight that I got my best shaves ever.

Yes, there is a learning curve - and it really isn't as bad as it sounds - so that shouldn't put you off. If you are determined to get an excellent shave, straight is the way to go in my opinion. It might be a tough road to get there, but the prize at the end of the journey is well worth it!!

I used a DE when I was slowly phasing-out the Mach 3 et al (spit) and while I was using the shavette. The DE gave a clean and tidy shave, but I got a 1 o'clock shadow from it all the time. Also, I kept getting ingrown hairs and razor bumps with the DE. My thick, curly beard is only fully and super-closely shaved with a straight, even to this day.

Also, regarding your skin. Assuming your skin is not covered in spots, using a straight and allowing your skin time to get used to that way of shaving (that time can vary), your skin will thank you for it and believe me so will the people around you!

Finally, I think the straight experience is clearly the more costly. You'll need a shave ready razor as people have said, but one won't be enough. By the time you get used to honing it you'll have bought a couple of these at least. My advice is to look on these forums and the SRP forums for users that sell shave ready razors. That way you'll know what you're buying. As for hones, strops and so on, you couldn't go wrong by getting yourself a 'shaving kit' from the same which should save you something.

Either side of my adams apple is smoother than I achieved with a DE with less irritation (I always used to get some redness no matter what) I also got awkward areas like either side of my mouth and just under my nose much cleaner more easily.

This is what first got me hooked on straights - in those early days, the straight did about as well as the DE on the "easy" parts, but it really shone on those patches of really tough beard where the thin DE blade would flex and chatter and scrape. My trouble spots were the sides of my mouth and along the jawline, but the big straights would just mow that stuff down. It's like the difference between a bush-hog and a riding mower.

Nowadays, there's no comparison at all. I can shave quicker and better with a straight than a DE. But I'd certainly hope so after several years of straight shaving. As for being careful, the only thing that will really cause nicks nowadays is switching to a longer razor than I'm used to. But even if I'm in a hurry a straight razor is my weapon of choice because I can get such a good shave in one pass. If I'm really pressed for time I've got a Feather AC with a well-corked blade that will get the call and save stropping time.

Top Bottom