What's new

Handwriting

So there's no use buying nice pens with horrible handwriting, how do I make my handwriting more legible?

I have terrible handwriting and my italic nib (well Sam's italic nib) makes me look good at it lol but the short answer is practice

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
There are already some good links here. I got into fountain pens as in incentive to work on my handwriting. Slowing down and practice can go a long way to improving your writing. A journal is a good thing for daily practice, plus it allows you to get some things off of your chest.

I think just being mindful of your handwriting brings some improvement, so long as you have an idea of what you're looking for. That's where the books, IAMPETH, etc, can help. And, practice, practice, practice, probably bears repeating.

+10 on OC's suggestion of Journaling. A page or two a night with a fountain pen and I get in some practice, de-stress, enjoy the pen and create this record of myself that I can learn from. What more could I ask for? :)

+ 1 million. A nice pen (ok I'll be honest, pens, this is an AD after all) is a great incentive to work on your handwriting. And keeping a journal is win-win. Better handwriting, de-stressing, trying out new inks, etc, you can't lose!

There are already some good links here. I got into fountain pens as in incentive to work on my handwriting. Slowing down and practice can go a long way to improving your writing. A journal is a good thing for daily practice, plus it allows you to get some things off of your chest.

My handwriting is so much better with an FP, it's not even funny. When I use a rollerball, I automatically revert to illegibility.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
So there's no use buying nice pens with horrible handwriting, how do I make my handwriting more legible?
Omak:
I'll 'chime in' here. In the past and using cheap pens (Skillcafts from the Army), my hand writting has been compared as nothing less than 'chicken scratch'.
proxy.php

But using my MB "Starwalker" rollerball (RB), pen or Montblanc 75th Anniversary Limited Edition "Mozart" ball point (BP), which I enjoy immensely because of it's weight, large diameter and ease of writing has definitely and greatly improved my writting in terms of style and readability.
proxy.php
"Soulmakers for 100 Years".

In my opinion, by holding a fine writting instrument (be it RB, BP or FP), intuitively (conjure up images of past great writters and style), causes one to creativily pause for thought and thus 'slow' down one's writting speed akin to equating a fine writting instrument with finer writting.

Here's some tips that helped me out alot, "How To Improve Your Handwriting";

Read More: http://homeworktips.about.com/od/homeworkhelp/ht/handwriting.htm

Try this test...write with a cheap writting instrument vs. a fine writting instrument and you'll see the difference. :yesnod:

proxy.php
"The act of putting pen to paper encourages pause for thought, this in turn makes us think more deeply about life, which helps us regain our equilibrium". Norbet Platt

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I agree that just using a FP on a regular basis can help your handwriting ... being able to let the pen glide effortlessly over the paper rather than dragging a BP across with heavy weight to try to make the "ink" flow helps a lot. The 'ball' technologies ... whether the older ballpoint or newer rollerball ... have their limitations in terms of ease of use, compared to FPs.

Generally, I find that my handwriting looks its best when I use a pen with some nib variation ... italic, stub, music, Naginata, &c. ... rather than just a "regular" nib.

Beyond that, the best advice I can give is to visit the New York School of Handwriting. It's located next door to Carnegie Hall. Just ask someone how to get to Carnegie Hall ... :wink2:

Omak:
I'll 'chime in' here. In the past and using cheap pens (Skillcafts from the Army), my hand writting has been compared as nothing less than 'chicken scratch'.
proxy.php

Your handwriting would improve a lot if you didn't spend so much time scribbling in those custom smilies. :001_tt2:

I have good handwriting with a rollerball. In fact, most days I prefer it over my FP's. Blasphemous, I know.. It's a uni-ball jet stream. That's a freaking smooth writing pen!

Thank goodness for that!

+3 !

But with the recent acquisition of the B&B LE pen I've decided to try to write more letters and I've thought about how I might improve my penmanship along with that. I haven't put an action plan in place yet. Further challenged - I'm a lefty. Before I bought the B&B pen I did a bit of research on lefties using fountain pens. Lots of different ways to deal with it - fascinating reading.

Top Bottom