What's new

Blind test #8 - 7 O'Clock, Black vs Blue

Shave #1

Test set up as described in this thread here, with an exception that I'm using two FaTip Grande Open Comb razors this time, one in gold finish and one nickel plated. I'll refer to them as "Silver" and "Gold" coloured for this test...

$7348207846_078aaaae03_z.jpg

This test compares the two varieties of Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades - the "Black" package ones from India against the "Blue" package ones from Russia.

Gold = right side of face
Silver = left side of face

Brush = Simpson Duke 2 best
Soap = MWF
AS = Geo F Trumper Limes

Pass 1, WTG: I noticed an immediate subjective difference - more audible feedback from the Silver and more of a "suck to the skin" sharpness feel, with the Gold being quieter but feeling a bit smoother. I had 3 days of growth, and both got through it with ease. So first feeling is that Silver is a bit sharper, but Gold is a bit smoother - not much in it though.

Pass 2, XTG: Felt less difference on this pass, with a bit of audible feedback from the Gold bring the two closer together.

Pass 3, ATG
: Both very efficient - equally so. I did get the feel again that Silver seems a little bit sharper, and Gold a little bit smoother, but I really can't be sure how much difference there is at this early stage. Noticed a very small weeper on my chin from Gold and a tiny one on my upper lip from Silver - both stopped very quickly.

Closeness: Very close on both sides - can't really tell any difference.

Comfort: Felt nice - had that "just shaved" feel, but with no irritation.

AS: Bit of a sting from the GFT Limes, but I think that's to be expected - it left my skin feeling tight and very clean.

I've used the Black blades before, but this was my first time with the Blue - it's clearly a very good blade, but on this first shave they do feel a bit different.

Those FaTip's are beautiful!

I imagine you'll see a lot more variance with this test as it seems like people have strong feelings both ways about both these blades. I've got an inkling already, but I'll hold off on making my prediction until a few more shaves.

Congratulations on the spiffy new gear, Alan!

I'm already confident of which is which, and which will win out in the end, but you'll probably get a couple weeks of jolly good shaves for this trial.

This will be an interesting one. Say, while you're at it, could you comment on how the Fatips compare to the other razors you used in your previous tests. Always good to get feedback on an OC.

Looking forward to the story and the results. As usual, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Nice looking gear, by the way.

This will be interesting. I've tried 12-15 blades so far and have 10 in my blade vault and the 7 o"clock Blacks are the first blade which blew me away in smoothness, sharpness, and durability, no matter what razor I load them in. I've been meaning to try the Blues, so you might be saving me some time. Thanks for the effort, Oscroft.
BTW, those are fine looking Fatips. I have a Grande that's going to be replated next week, and I hope it looks as nice as yours.

Last edited:
Oscroft. Way to go! This is one of those questions that people have been asking for some time, which one to get the Black or Blue.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks for the replies, folks.

Yes, the Fatip razors really are nice, and they're not expensive - I have a Piccolo too (with the smaller but heavier handle), which is on loan to a friend at the moment.

If anyone wants to send me their idea of which blade is which as the test progresses, please feel free to PM me - and I can publish the guesses at the end.

I'm very interested in this test as I think one of those two will be my first 100 blade purchase. So far the blues are my favorite, but I haven't tried the blacks yet...

Shave #2

Test set up as described in this thread here. I'm using two FaTip Grande Open Comb razors this time, one in gold finish and one nickel plated. I'll refer to them as "Silver" and "Gold" for these tests.

This test compares the two varieties of Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blades - the "Black" package ones from India against the "Blue" package ones from Russia.

Gold = left side of face
Silver = right side of face

Brush = Semogue 1305
Soap = Cella
AS = Arko Action

Pass 1, WTG: Strangely, I didn't really get the audible feedback this time - maybe it varies with soap, technique, etc (or maybe my hearing is better in one ear). Anyway, both blades felt sharp, but I wasn't getting the smooth feel from the Gold that I got last time - in fact, the Silver felt noticeably smoother today.

Pass 2, XTG: XTG, the Silver blade felt a bit smoother again, and even seemed a bit sharper this time.

Pass 3, ATG
: Small weeper on my upper lip from Silver. I felt less resistance from Silver, so again it seemed a bit sharper.

Closeness: Very close on both sides - no apparent difference.

Comfort: A few minutes after this shave, the left side of my face, shaved with the Gold blade, definitely felt slightly irritated - and no irritation on the right.

AS: Arko Action is high in alcohol, and gave the usual sharp glow - but a bit more sting on the left. The irritation was soothed by the splash, and both sides felt fine.

On this shave, I clearly preferred Silver - both blades gave me a very good shave, but the Silver left me feeling better.

As an aside, comparing this test with the ones I've done using EJ razors, the most obvious difference is that the OC FaTips are quite a bit more aggressive, and I get more of a one-to-one feel with the blades. I think they're going to be less forgiving of blades, and possibly therefore better for comparing their basic performance.

Last edited:
This is the test I've been waiting for. I think I have my preference between these two and am curious to see how this test comes out.

YMMV of course but I didn't see any difference between the two.

In fact I would not be surprised if other than the wrapper there isn't any.

I don't think anyone if they had to use one of these from now on would complain.

YMMV of course but I didn't see any difference between the two.

In fact I would not be surprised if other than the wrapper there isn't any.

I don't think anyone if they had to use one of these from now on would complain.

It can't be just the wrapper, it was made in different countries using different materials and different components.

What are the different materials & components?

As far as locations go the Blues are made in Russia and Czech to the same standard.

I have both of these and with the blacks feel no differences in the Shaves which is good for me as the blues are less.

Same standard doesn't mean same blade. Do you think that India and Russia get their steel imported from the same place?
I have some blades that feel the same to me, but they are made in the same factory (like labs/meds).

Top Bottom