What's new

ok... its here... what does it say?

So - did you use it yet?

yeppers....

it totally destroyed a sheet of medium emory paper..... in about 5 strokes.... so i went to 220 wet or dry... it was pretty much flat when i started... the stamps came off quickly and i lapped it 220 600 1200.......

ran for the living room and put a bit of water on the stone and rubbed it with the tomo nagura *(thanks again david ... you are the man!)....... now i am waiting for my son to vacate the bathroom so i can get to a strop...... it is popping arm hair effortlessly ......

here is some stone pron to keep you happy till tomorrows better more detailed report....

slurry is NOT black... but a milky whitish grey... and the tomo nagura makes the color you can see on the stone...

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

My regret on reading this thread is that I didn't get on the bandwagon sooner. When I read your first post, I was going to quickly add "Made in China" as a translation. Now... dammit... I have to be serious.

Nice stone, Paco.

tested the edge last night.... i treated the jnat like i would a coti and honed a bit on my 13/16ths goldenedge.... it was already shave ready......

so i made 40-50 laps with slurry then i thinned it a bit with water and made 30-40 more... then i wiped off the stone and made 30-40ish with water......

then stropped it on my tony miller then i went to the 3" big daddy strop..... got a solid HHT4 with the barest of pings....

it may not be the hardest of hard stones but IMHO it is more than adequate for razors.... if that edge doesnt shave i will eat my shoe....

now i need some polyurethane to seal the back/bottom and i would love to mount it into a box....

i will say i am satisfied for 90$......

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I have to say, that is a very nice rock for $90.

Unfortunately, now you are going to spend a bunch of money on exotic and rare slurry stones for it. :001_cool:

well... i shaved with the edge and i am very pleased to announce it "light saber"......

sooooooooooo smooth.... i will hone another razor on it to use tonight because i know where the edge is right now sharpness wise.... it was honed on coti with oil and is sharp.....

i will finish it on this jnat and test it out......

hopefully it will be as sweet as the one i used this morning..... i am really happy right now with my purchase...

Congrats, it's good when things turn out well. If I might suggest; try some circular strokes on that Jnat till it's almost dry then dilute.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I haven't touched anything other than the Jnat for months. Sounds like you might be hooked too. How does the edge compare to your other methods?

I haven't touched anything other than the Jnat for months. Sounds like you might be hooked too. How does the edge compare to your other methods?

to me... the edges *(i have honed 2 off this stone so far but there is a new to me 8/8's fili waiting for my attention tonight....) feel sharper than a coti with oil.... and rival pretty much anything i have tried as far as all out sharpness goes... BUT they feel smooth to me... not harsh at all...

i sometimes have to play with the pasted strops to tone down razors honed on the thuringian or welsh slate......

According to the wife:

On the top, the stamp further from the number:
"Sanjou(name of a location)meitei/meitou(qualified sharpening stone? She wasn't sure of the pronunciation, it was one of those two)"
The stamp closer to the number:
"Masamotoyama(manufacturer or person who mined the stone)Honkakuhin(stamp of authenticity, not a fake)"

The stamps on the side are just 330mate's contact info. Congrats on the stone !

Think your wife could translate some games for me? She doesn't have to look at the pictures. In fact, it may be best if she doesn't. No actually, she definitely shouldn't. On second thought, never mind.

If I still had my 330mate stone around here I'd ask for that translated. All I've got now with any stamps left on it is my Tomonag from Japanese Kitchen Knives.com or somewhere like that. And I'm pretty sure it just says something like "A Rock" Here's the stamp in my awesome MSpaint Kanji.

Attachments

• $Leg.JPG
    $Leg.JPG
    4.4 KB · Views: 61
Top Bottom