What's new

Question about Muhle Synthetic Black Fiber Shaving brush ..

C

curious_child

Hi All,

I am looking for a new synthetic shaving brush and seriously considering Muhle Synthetic Black Fiber brush.
But just cant decide whether to buy Basic 2 or HJM (white versions) .. :confused1

What i am interested in is which one is comfortable to handle/grip/make lather with .

I really like the looks of White Basic 2 (from photo) but read that it is difficult to grip and can be slippery .. Others have said, HJM feels very good in hand with rubber grip ..

I assume, performance wise, both should be the same ..

How Muhle Synthetic compares to H.I.S. Synthetic ??

My budget is $40 shipped to Sydney, Australia ..

I only face lather with Proraso Shaving Soap Aloe Green Tea Ultra Sensitive cream .. Buying TOBS or new Red proraso soon ..

Thanks for the feedback .
:biggrin1:

I had the Black Fibre with the Rubber Grip Handle, they are comfortable & easy to hold whether your hands are wet or dry. I liked the way it performed and the unique look of the Handle was a plus, I also had the Rubber Grip Handle on the Muhle Boar I owned.

I would imagine that the rubber grips on the HJM version would work well, but I've never had a problem holding onto my Muhle Basic, and I think the handle looks a lot nicer than the HJM one. It may be called Basic, but it has a real premium feel to it.

I have the basic 2 Black Fibre in white and it is a very easy brush to hold. I don;t find it at all slippery, probably because of the shape of the bottom of the handle where the chrome base starts. Fits the fingers well with the base resting on the palm of the hand, best way i can describe it.

Since being forced to buy one after reading threads on B&B, it has become my go to brush and most of my nice badgers are languishing in the bathroom cupboard! Only my one Shavemac comes out now and then.

I am an exclusive face latherer and the Muhle works well with both soaps and creams.

Gareth

I recently acquired a Mühle Classic 21mm brush in Ivory Silvertip Fiber, and I've had two HJM Black Fiber brushes for some time. I know it's a difficult choice between the two.

The Ivory brush is stunningly attractive, nicely balanced with a nice heft. The HJM brushes are fun to use, have the best grip of any brush I've ever used and are somewhat lighter. The handle base is oblong in shape fits very nicely in my hand, and the rubber insets provide a sure grip. The HJM is light enough to use for travel as it is so quick-drying.

Both brushes have Mühle's outstanding attention to detail, construction and quality. The HJM is different in design from my other brushes. It's performance is outstanding. Of all the brushes I've used, it's the most interesting and most fun. Other brushes have found their way into my two-brush rotation, but the HJM is always my mainstay.

As far as either grip being slippery, I have not found that in either case. The handle shapes are well designed and both are easy to use.

Last edited:
I've decided I have to have an HJM, I don't kow why, but it's a relatively cheap SBAD expense so can't lose.

Im looking at the white version too. The rubber grip doesn't bother me at all, and sets it apart from other brushes.

C

curious_child

Gents,

Thanks for your great replies. I "really" want to buy Basic 2 because of its "premium looks" (Not that HJM is looking bad) and very good performance reviews. Relieved to know that there are no grip issues. White Basic 2 is coming my way soon.

Not sure if this is allowed to ask ... What is the best place to buy for Sydney, Australia ?? Online or store ...

Codfish, since you have both Muhle black synthetic and Silvertip synthetic, how do they compare ?? Is there any difference in performance ? Do you prefer one over another ???

Thank you .

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea about buying from Australia. I'm in the UK and bought direct from Muhle in Germany via the web site. No problems

Gareth

I am waiting for the Muhle hjm to arrive. I already have the H.I.S and I like it a lot.
Will post a comparison when the hjm arrives.

Gents,

Thanks for your great replies. I "really" want to buy Basic 2 because of its "premium looks" (Not that HJM is looking bad) and very good performance reviews. Relieved to know that there are no grip issues. White Basic 2 is coming my way soon.

Not sure if this is allowed to ask ... What is the best place to buy for Sydney, Australia ?? Online or store ...

Codfish, since you have both Muhle black synthetic and Silvertip synthetic, how do they compare ?? Is there any difference in performance ? Do you prefer one over another ???

Thank you .
This should help.

Top Bottom