What's new

Flying- DE Carry on?

I haven't flown in about 10 years, but you can't even pack the blades with your luggage that goes in the luggage compartment of the plan where it would be very close to impossible to get to during the flight? Surly the regulations can't be that insane?

Oh, no no, my solidly planted friend. The issue is carry on. You can put any blade you want to, from razor to katana in checked luggage that goes in the luggage compartment. The issue is for those of use who prefer not to check any luggage for either convenience (not have to wait for it when we land) or fear of it being misplaced and sent to another destination or left behind or the like (usually does not happen, but always a real possibility).

-Mo

Oh, no no, my solidly planted friend. The issue is carry on. You can put any blade you want to, from razor to katana in checked luggage that goes in the luggage compartment. The issue is for those of use who prefer not to check any luggage for either convenience (not have to wait for it when we land) or fear of it being misplaced and sent to another destination or left behind or the like (usually does not happen, but always a real possibility).

-Mo

Thanks for clearing that up! I was a bit worried!

And as a matter of fact, the last time I did fly, when I got off the plane in MPLS/St Paul, my luggage didn't and went to Boston. It's a very real possibility!

I travel at least once a month and my experience has been that TSA staff are not always clear on their guidelines. Personally, I don't worry too much about my luggage being waylaid. But some airlines are much, much better about that sort of thing than others.

All things considered, I would run the risk of mis-routed luggage before shaving with a cartridge.

"razor blades not in a cartridge"

That part of the regulation is what says that DE blades and SE blades are not allowed in carry on luggage.

Because of past discussions on this topic here, I had phoned the TSA and talked directly with someone about this. The person that I talked too very clearly stated that double edge razor blades and single edge razor blades are not allowed in carry on luggage. I do agree that the wording in the TSA documentation could be more clear. The way that they lumped it all together with safety razors causes some confusion on the topic.

Some here (myself included) have flown with DE blades in the carry on luggage, either intentionally or unintentionally. You decide if the risk is worth it to you.

Well, as a professional Airline Pilot, I go through screening just about every workday. In my position, there are a couple of "professional courtesies" that are offered, like going through the short line, keeping my shoes on (as long as they don't beep), and skipping the ziplock thingie.

I talked with a TSA supervisor at home base about DE blades a couple months ago, and "Yeah, we'd even take them from YOU". Was the response. Seems that the screeners actually get some additional guidelines which clear up some of the confusing points. My solution: buy blades when I get where I'm going, mail the rest of the package home, and carry a Mach 3 in my bag if all else fails.:frown: .

It's the times...

-Michael

I travel frequently. I have no plans to leave my DE razor at home nor will I check-in my bag. I've never had a problem and I really doubt I ever will.

Can you take the razor without the blades, or do you have to check the razor too?

==Tom

The TSA site says safety razors are okay for carry-on and check-in but there is some confusion over whether the razor blades are okay for carry-on as well. They're fine for check-in. I say the blades are allowed but some disagree or aren't sure.

well, you could always pick up a cheap injector off ebay, the razor does look like the "hillbelly cousin" of a modern cartrige razor, and the spare blades come in a closed aluminium dispenser,

The TSA site says safety razors are okay for carry-on and check-in but there is some confusion over whether the razor blades are okay for carry-on as well. They're fine for check-in. I say the blades are allowed but some disagree or aren't sure.

There is nothing to be unsure about.

Razor blades are NOT allowed in carry-on luggage!

(It's been suggested that color helps...)

Best - MM

I flew last summer - the razor was OK for carry on, they just checked to make sure there was no blade in it. I put the blades in the checked luggage, worked out great.

+1 It is pretty much hit or miss. I just flew back from Philly. Had a blade loaded inthe DE and it got through both ways. I have flown where the blade was removed. At that point I visit the local Wal-Mart for inferior blades for a short period of time.

There is nothing to be unsure about.

Razor blades are NOT allowed in carry-on luggage!

(It's been suggested that color helps...)

Best - MM

:wink: I thought that my color coordination would have helped, but I guess it fell on deaf ears...er...blind eyes.

Ok, that was corny. :tongue_sm

:wink: I thought that my color coordination would have helped, but I guess it fell on deaf ears...er...blind eyes.

Ok, that was corny. :tongue_sm

To be very honest, I didn't understand what you wanted to express with your color scheme. That could say more about me, though, than about your scheme... :redface:

Best - MM

From TSA's permitted and prohibited:
Item Carry-on Checked ==Carry on/ Check in==
Razor-Type Blades - such as box cutters, utility knives, razor blades not in a cartridge, but excluding safety razors. ==No/ Yes==

Does this mean that we can carry on DE blades?

Traveling tomorrow for first time since i've been DE shaving, and would hate to have to go back to disposable or check, with the high prob that my luggage is going to be delayed/lost.

What do you guys normally do?

I find that color coding helps. :smile:

To be very honest, I didn't understand what you wanted to express with your color scheme. That could say more about me, though, than about your scheme... :redface:

Best - MM

From the original post taken directly from the TSA it says in a round-a-bout way that razor blades can not be carried on, but can be checked in luggage. I just highlighted the pertinent parts in color. If you match the colors to each other, you get the answer to what the TSA will let you do with razor blades. Hope I'm not confusing the issue more. :smile:

You are flat out wrong about that! Double edge and single edge razor blades are NOT allowed in carry on luggage!

You are giving advice that could cause trouble for others.

Oh, and if any of you Americans is planning a trip to Europe, check your razors in. Any type, even cartridge razors.

You can't bring a DE blade onto the plane - don't even try to sneak it on.

You're either going to have to check your blades or go with a cartridge/disposable.

So you can bring the razor itself in your carryon luggage?

Can you pack blades in your suitcase to be stored in cargo?

So you can bring the razor itself in your carryon luggage?

Can you pack blades in your suitcase to be stored in cargo?

thats what im wondering, I want to bring a DE(without the blade) as a carry on, and just buy the blades when i arrive at my location.

It might be less confusing if we dumb this down a bit.

YES - You can carry on THE HANDLE, i.e., your SuperSpeed, Fat Boy, Progress, Vision, etc.

NO - You can NOT carry on THE BLADE, i.e., your Derby, Feather, IP, Crystal, etc.

As far as checked baggage UNDER THE PLANE IN THE CARGO HOLD, well, I'm assuming that as long as it's not an explosive, you'll be fine.

Have a nice day. :smile:

Top Bottom