What's new

Favourite Cowboy Movie Theme Song

Still one of the best western movie theme songs ever. If you can't get a sense of adventure listening to George Alexander sing this you have no pulse.

And the Edgar Allen Poe poem that inspired the song. The poem was partly recited by James Caan in the movie. It is really quite interesting.

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old-
This knight so bold-
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow-
"Shadow," said he,
"Where can it be-
This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied-
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

Edgar Allan Poe

Last edited by a moderator:
I love Ennio Morricone's music, but my favorite has to be Elmer Bernstein's theme to "The Magnificent Seven." There's just something so uplifting about it.

On the other hand, the TV cowboy themes were all great. Does anybody remember "Sugarfoot?" For some reason, I remember singing that all the time when I was a kid. And I bet that everybody knows at least one version of the theme for "Branded" too. However, my favorite TV theme has to be the one from "Kung Fu." When I hear it, I just want to walk the earth, meet people, get in adventures.

I love the theme from the good the bad and the ugly.

As for TV shows Deadwood had a really good soundtrack as well.

Legion

Staff member
I didn't know the covered it- listening now. So far, so good.

They also used it as the opening music on the S+M album. The one where they played live with the San Francisco Philharmonic Orchestra. The Orchestra played it until they came one stage and started rocking out.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
They also used it as the opening music on the S+M album. The one where they played live with the San Francisco Philharmonic Orchestra. The Orchestra played it until they came one stage and started rocking out.
The last Metallica album I bought was the Black album, might need to get S&M. They can keep Load, though

This will fall mostly upon us Yanks since we developed and love the genre but anyone should feel free to add their choice. Remember, some of the most famous westerns were made by Italians! Here's my choice: My Rifle, Pony, and Me featuring Dean Martin and Rick Nelson. A bit sentimental of me I admit. Rio Bravo was one of my Da's favourite westerns and this song too. Lets hear yours.

Cheers, Todd
[video]http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D7IpEnsdXwFM&v=7IpEnsdXwFM&gl=SG[/video]

I used to sing this to my kids when they were smaller.

I love Ennio Morricone's music, but my favorite has to be Elmer Bernstein's theme to "The Magnificent Seven." There's just something so uplifting about it.

On the other hand, the TV cowboy themes were all great. Does anybody remember "Sugarfoot?" For some reason, I remember singing that all the time when I was a kid. And I bet that everybody knows at least one version of the theme for "Branded" too. However, my favorite TV theme has to be the one from "Kung Fu." When I hear it, I just want to walk the earth, meet people, get in adventures.

The enabling really has to stop!

I just posted once in this thread, and before I knew it, I was at Amazon buying 'The Searchers', 'Rio Bravo' and 'Jeremiah Johnson' ...

Last edited:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The enabling really has to stop!

I just posted once in this thread, and before I knew it, I was at Amazon buying 'The Searchers', 'Rio Bravo' and 'Jeremiah Johnson' ...

Well, if you don't already own The Searchers and Rio Bravo ... it's high time you did, pilgrim.

Since the ecstacy of gold has been mentioned so many times already I'll have to say "Man with a harmonica" from Once upon a time in the west.

Top Bottom