What's new

Music Player Recommendation

Howdy!

At one time I had an Apple iPod Classic ( and have misplaced it) I think it was one the ones that had 80GB (I'm not sure!). My question is, I use iTunes and would like suggestions on which apple iPod I should purchase. I looked at Best Buy yesterday and found an iPod nano it has the small screen that you can move with your finger. I found a nano on bestbuy.com 16GB for $139.00 (6th Generation). The 8GB was $114.00. Or is OT worth purchasing a classic iPod?

Best,
Jerry

I do have an Apple iphone 16GB. I'll be honest I never thought about using it. I have 12.6 GB available. How many songs will my iphone hold?

Am I better off buy a nano or the classic iPod?

I think I have about 50 CDs or so.

Jerry

Alternatively, you can get a Sony Walkman for less than half the price. I have both an iPod and a Walkman and use both. The Walkman is totally compatible with iTunes and I find both the hardware and the software that come with it to be superior to iPod.

Depends what you want to do. If you just want it to store/play music in fairly static environments, then the iPhone is fine (but not great).

If you want to have music while exercising (subject to safety), then the iPhone is probably far too heavy and bulky. I have an 8G Nano for that, as it also has the built-in pedometer and it only weighs 21 grams. It then gets chucked in my car where it hooks up to the ICE/SatNav head unit.

Sound quality from the apple product is pretty ordinary IMHO, even with aftermarket cans which are far superior to the excuses that come in the box.

The iTunes software....OMG, has to be among the worst consumer-grade software ever inflicted on mankind, and that's saying something.

I've previously had iRiver players and they were far superior in terms of sound quality, albeit with slightly tacky design, used a standard USB interface and the bundled software was a piece of **** to use, or you could use WMP if you preferred.

I've had my eye on a Sony Walkman on and off for a while - I've heard they have stunning sound reproduction and great features, but I've no need for a new device and, for now, the Nano fits the bill from a form-factor perspective.

P

pdillon

You have plenty of room for music on your iPhone...don't waste your money on the iPod.

I second this. Definitely use your iPhone. If you already have your songs on iTunes from your last iPod, it should be very easy to transfer them over. You will have way plenty of room.

I understand if people want a smaller player for exercise, but I use mine while exercising all the time. If I'm running I just hold it in my hand, but if I'm using a machine like an eliptical/arc trainer or riding a bike I stick it in my pocket. I've never had any issues.

Also, I wouldn't bother with a point-and-shoot camera either. If you want/have a DSLR, cool. But IMHO the phone is just as good and more convenient than a point and shoot camera.

If you need any help with the technical transfer of music, feel free to pm me.

I use an inexpensive Sansa clip. They always get high marks in reviews, and you can get up to 8gb, and then add a card for even more storage.
My cell works well, but there are times it is just large or I don't want to eat up its battery.

Just use your phone, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII that I loaded with 0 compression FLAC filed that I listen to on break at work through bluetooth headphones..

I don't know if iPhones have microSD card slots ..but if they do then that's a extremely easy way to add more space.

I'm going to put another vote in for Sansa great company that either matches or beats Apple in terms of quality but definitely without the obscene markup that Apple is known for (and to be honest is one of the main reasons I don't buy their products)

I use an inexpensive Sansa clip. They always get high marks in reviews, and you can get up to 8gb, and then add a card for even more storage.
My cell works well, but there are times it is just large or I don't want to eat up its battery.

This.

If you're not dead set on an apple product you can find a refurbished sansa clip for like $25 (the clip is rockbox capable). They've been popping up a lot recently, just check techbargains.com once a day. You may even find a sweet deal on a nano.

After putting Spotify on my iPhone I haven't touched any of my dedicated mp3 players at all. While at one time I loved buying audiophile quality portable equipment, this level of convenience totally outweighed the sound quality I was getting before.

Sansa clip is an amazing value with xcellent features and superb sound quality. I use mine during excercise or mowing the lawn. Very durable. I've dropped mine numerous times, bouncing down the steps even, with no ill effect. Otherwise I just stream music from my Google Music account through my phone.

I do have an Apple iphone 16GB. I'll be honest I never thought about using it. I have 12.6 GB available. How many songs will my iphone hold?

Am I better off buy a nano or the classic iPod?

I think I have about 50 CDs or so.

Jerry

I have a 16gb model with 900 songs and have lots of room left. With 50 CD's you should be fine. Unless you want something smaller (like a shuffle or nano) I wouldn't waste your money on another mp3 player when the iPhone will do the job just fine. Spend this money on shaving stuff instead.

Top Bottom