What's new

Selected my first tool of the art

After much, much research I finally made my choice. I've ordered a Edwin Jagger De89lbl. Many guys seem order something cheap for their first DE. However the degree of monetary difference between this razor and even a bottom of the line razor you can find on Amazon is really very negligible. Amazon list some DE razors that even have received 4 out of 5 star ratings for $10 or under. Selecting dthe Jagger following much deliberation I then found it on a site called soap.com for $34. They had a 20% off promo running which brought the price down to $27.20. The difference in price between a beautiful, finely constructed, prime quality razor and a bottom "starter" razor is less than the price of an inexpensive meal in a restaurant. That's such a pittance for something that one will use daily and will be so important to one's personal appearance and comfort.

I'm currently using a cheapo Barbrasol boar bristle brush and Kiss my face shaving cream in a cup with St. James of London ore-shave oil. What is opinions are out there on the inexpensive Jagger badger brushes. Escali badger brushes, derby blades and Omega shave soap/cream as these are items that I'm considering to order next.

Fantastic choice on a razor. Don't rush into a cheap brush, though. Your current one will serve you well for the time being. There is a lot of b&b brush research for you to do!

That's a very nice razor no matter where you are on the shaving curve.

I only have a few brushes, but I can highly recommend the Kingsley #28 shaving brush that is currently on Amazon for $19.50. Made in the UK, pure badger, feels and looks very nice, and I think it's only lost about 7 hairs since I've had it (5 months or so).

Great razor, I love mine!

Don't rush the brush or blade, you'll want something quality, and there's plenty out there brush wise without breaking the bank. A cheap brush could mean lots of shedding and poor lathering. So do a little research.

As for the blades, ditch the Derby. Or maybe not ditch them, but use them to start and perfect your technique and move on. Get a nice sample pack and see what works best with your skin/hair. The Derbys it seems many have luck when first starting out and learning, but are able to obtain a closer/better shave with a higher quality and sharper blade that fits them better in the long run.

Excellent razor choice in terms of both quality and cost--although YMMV in regard to all products and aspects of DE shaving. Regarding blades, a sampler is the way to start. One school of thought is to begin with mild blades such as Red IP's and Derby's, which is what I did seven months ago; another school advocates starting with the sharpest blades. Given that I'm teaching my daughter to drive on a back-country road and in an empty parking lot before she ventures into rush-hour and interstate highway traffic, I myself favor starting with milder blades. Another common piece of advice: as soon as you find a blade and soap/cream that are acceptable for you in the short term, stick with that specific set up for 30 days or so before moving on. Have a great time exploring!

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Nothing wrong with that purchase. Brand new + great price + lasts forever = good deal.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
You may find that a well broken in boar brush is hard to beat regardless of the price other brushes command. YMMV of course, and a 250.00 badger does have mystique, charm and performance for those who can afford them.

Brand new + great price + lasts forever = good deal.

+1 to take this a step further...you'll notice many on this site say "whatever your willing to spend on it is what it's worth"...enjoy your purchase!

I have the Barley addition and love mine. Just used it actually.

I would recommend you get a blade sampler pack, you'll more than likely find there are many blades that work better in this instrument than a Derby. IE, Shark SC, Astra SP, Lab Blues, Gillette 7 Oclock's, Feathers, etc...actually, just about any and all blades are better than Derby's IMHO.

Thanks, everybody for sharing your wisdom and experience. As with every interest of mine I tend to immerse myself in it and truly enjoy it.

Top Bottom