What's new

sweeny todd replica $11, so lets hear it why is it too good to be true?

Has anybody actually tried one to be able to pass judgment?

I friend of mine got one just for the coolness factor (not sure if it was the same one) and he bent the edge, literally bent it to the side-he was whacking small branches.

It sounds like it is a junker - more of pop art than functionality. I know we all wonder if there is another GD hiding out there but I've tried a good half dozen of the cheaper spreads - essentially cheaper knife blades without proper geometry - and when they can be sharpened (sometimes no mean feat in itself) they don't work well enough for the effort.

So... I vote for someone else to buy one and hone it... ;-} If you do, please let us know the outcome. I'm collecting data on these beasts to see if there is something that could be in the same class as the GD.

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...ors-Experiences-by-Members?highlight=ladykate

If the scales actually looked a bit better I'd get one for a rescale job. Grinding a GD to match the blade from the film would be a cool project for someone with more Dremel-fu than me.

If you want this just to look at because you liked the movie and it looks cool, then it's worth the $11.00 price.

If you ever wanted to shave with it, then here's why it's junk!

44o would absolutely be one of my last choices of steel for a Str8, it's common low grade stainless steel and would not be suitable. Choice of Steel is a YMMV thing for sure.

Here are 5 better choices of steel for a Str8 (in no particular order):

VG10
AUS-8
D2
ATS34
154CM
My personal experience with 440 (not shaving mind you) is it could quite possibly go dull in the time you are relathering between passes. :biggrin1: Alright, maybe not quite that fast but damn close!

It's still a nice looking decoration piece for the price.

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
"Depp impressed Balfour with his research. “He knew how to hold a razor,” he says. “I’m sure he could’ve shaved somebody quite successfully."

I wonder if he perused the pages of B&B or TOS

"Depp impressed Balfour with his research. “He knew how to hold a razor,” he says. “I’m sure he could’ve shaved somebody quite successfully."

I wonder if he perused the pages of B&B or TOS

I saw a clip that showed Depp stropping the razor edge first. The only reason the other guy was impressed is because be himself knew ZERO about straight shaving.

If you want this just to look at because you liked the movie and it looks cool, then it's worth the $11.00 price.

If you ever wanted to shave with it, then here's why it's junk!

44o would absolutely be one of my last choices of steel for a Str8, it's common low grade stainless steel and would not be suitable. Choice of Steel is a YMMV thing for sure.

Here are 5 better choices of steel for a Str8 (in no particular order):

VG10
AUS-8
D2
ATS34
154CM
My personal experience with 440 (not shaving mind you) is it could quite possibly go dull in the time you are relathering between passes. :biggrin1: Alright, maybe not quite that fast but damn close!

It's still a nice looking decoration piece for the price.

It depends on what type of 440 it is.

440A- yeah, probably too soft to maintain a razor edge.

440C- Well that is what they use for Friodurs, so it is well regarded as a fine razor steel.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
So who will pull the trigger? Who will step up to the plate, buy one, hone it and offer the skin of his face to this razor-thing? Okay, if it's $11, I will be happy to kick in a buck, if ten other members will also pledge a buck.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Me said:
So who will pull the trigger? Who will step up to the plate, buy one, hone it and offer the skin of his face to this razor-thing? Okay, if it's $11, I will be happy to kick in a buck, if ten other members will also pledge a buck.

Oh, never mind. I see Doc is going for it. Maybe he can put some mojo on it.

Top Bottom