What's new

How do you pay your bills?

Interesting to see just how similar things are. Internet has pretty much taken over.
Checks are gone here, I don't think you could even order them from the bank and even harder would be to find someone accepting them.

So the "old" way here would be wire transfer.

I remember when I lived in the States it was all checks, except the rent, the landlord wouldn't accept anything but cash in the hand every two weeks.
But then again, that is some 15 years ago, time flies :biggrin:

A couple of bills are paid automatically from my account, the rest arrive and I walk to a nearby convenience store and pay there with cash.

I use online bill pay through my bank for most of my bills. I have a couple bills that I pay automatically with my debit card.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
The Mrs. pays all the bills in our home since I was in uniform ("It's her home...I just iive in it".), !!! :thumbsup:

proxy.php
"In order to have harmony...A House must become a Home". CBJ

Last edited:
Automatically. I've set up recurring payments that automate all bill payments.

There are some really interesting answers in this thread!

Automatically. I try to go as paperless as possible. Not because I'm necessarily trying to go green or anything, just that I hate getting crap in the mail that I didn't order.

I have exactly ZERO bills that aren't paid automatically... unfortunately the landlord doesn't offer that service so I write a check for that every month. No worries about missing a payments or a late fee. I even set up my extra principle payments for my student loans automatically. If you're running shoestring budget I could see this being an issue. My wife and I make enough and save enough that we have a big enough pool so if we forget that cable bill comes out on the 15th but payday falls on the 16th we're not looking at overdrafting, etc.

I hate writing checks and having that stuff laying out there in the weeds to get cashed/processed. One per month isn't bad. But when you're having to remember to call and have the payment processed or waiting for the check that gets yucky for me. I like to know what I have, in cash, at any given moment. Makes planning easier. :)

And yes, I think I'm paperless billing on everything as far as I know. I don't even look at them, just watch the bank account to see that stuff is taken out "as usual".

I pay all of my bills through credit card but I still go to the bank to deposit my work check and pay the credit card off. My bank tellers are all girls so I don't mind the drive to the bank.

I pay all of my bills through credit card but I still go to the bank to deposit my work check and pay the credit card off. My bank tellers are all girls so I don't mind the drive to the bank.
I would put all my bills on credit cards, too, but there are too many companies that want to gouge me for a "convenience fee" for using a CC or Debit instead of my checking account. I don't want to have to pay anything extra over my actual bill.

Direct debit either to the bank account or credit card (1% rebate on utility bill if you charge to a certain card here). Settle the credit cards by internet banking. Never had a cheque book in the 8 years I have been in Singapore, so it's funny to use one in France, they don't trust cards it seems!

I transfer money to my wife's account and she pays them online. The miscellaneous that I actually pay myself, I also pay online.

For the last year I've waited until the power got cut then went down to the State Grid office to find out how much I owe. They stopped sending out bills, but I never got them when they did as they were mailed to a mailbox I have no access to. Water payment was through a card which I periodically topped up in an office a few minutes down the road. Cannot remember paying gas, so I assume my (ex)flatmate used to do that. It was all cash in person though

Snail mailed, so I can time the paying for when I want to do it. I've tried the automatic online payment method, but that can be a disaster when they charge you for more than you expected, suddenly.

Top Bottom