What's new

Rubberset Restore with 24mm WD Silvertip

Well I picked up this little brush along with an OS mug. Pulled out the knot, sanded out the mold lines and widened it to fit a bigger knot. I'll add some filler to give it a bit of weight, as it's quite light.

It's pressure fit set right now at 52mm, right were there is a little shelf for it. I'll try it out and adjust as needed, but have a feeling it will stay at this loft.

Old knot came out fine, sanded up fine, I still have to polish it up.

The knot came from Larry at Whipped Dog, it's a 24mm Silvertip, it's soft and appears to have nice density and flowthru (based on a test lather) and I'm very happy with the bloom, the service was great, price was fantastic and Larry was amazing to deal with.

Overall, I am happy how it is turning out. Once I get the knot epoxyed, I'll polish the handle up and put it to use.

$IMG_5210.jpg$IMG_5319.jpg$IMG_5324.jpg

Last edited:
Nice, Larry's silvertips are the best "bang for the buck" that I've seen. I seem to be a bit of newb and I've been going back to Pure/Black Badger a lot, but do you know how deep you got yours drilled? I need to break mine in a bit more, I got it drilled deeper and I think my technique just stinks for a Silvertip, I'm used to Pure Badger and Boars :/

Nice, Larry's silvertips are the best "bang for the buck" that I've seen. I seem to be a bit of newb and I've been going back to Pure/Black Badger a lot, but do you know how deep you got yours drilled? I need to break mine in a bit more, I got it drilled deeper and I think my technique just stinks for a Silvertip, I'm used to Pure Badger and Boars :/

i didn't have him drill my handle, as it was a vintage restore. if i had my choice, i would have set it around 48-50mm (i use the 2:1 rule).

mine is set around 13mm deep (65mm knot, now sits at 52-53mm)

Looks fantastic! Looking forward to your post-shave review of the WD knot.

lost about 10hairs on 1st test lather and then 3-5 on the 2nd. i did a hand lather, then brushed on my face and can say one think is for sure, it's SUPER SOFT. hopefully i like the density, it seems to be very dense and i'm hoping it has some backbone.

it will be mainly used for bowl lathering, with the longer loft and longer handle. my Ever-Ready C40 (another one i'm working on) will get a Horse Knot.

-- edit --

i just did a full lather with a bowl lathered QCS cream and must say, this brush is AMAZING. it did not shed any more hair, has backbone and rivalled the softness of my now gone Colonel. i know it's only been 1 full lather (and only 1 pass worth), but the handle was very comfortable and i think i'll be happy with the loft i set it at. did not hog lather, was soft and luxurious. it's on deck tomorrow for a real-shave test, we'll see how it goes.

not bad for a $20 investment and some time restoring the old handle.

Last edited:
thanks guys. i got to use it today, even though it was only dry set.

i have filled the handle with some white compound for weight. i tried adding some lead shot weights, but they were visible thru the base of the handle, so i took them out and just used a white filler.

once it's dry, i'll set the knot and then finish polishing the handle with some "acrylic cleaner/wax".

it was nice to hold, the know was great. i think i'm going to enjoy this brush and restoring it was quite fun and easy to do. if i can restore a brush, i'm pretty sure anyone can.

Bruce, can I offer a suggestion? Do your polishing of the handle before you set the knot. Makes it much easier to handle without the knot in it and you can get a little better polish around the hole. Then set the knot.

Bruce, can I offer a suggestion? Do your polishing of the handle before you set the knot. Makes it much easier to handle without the knot in it and you can get a little better polish around the hole. Then set the knot.

thanks for the suggestion, i'll be sure to complete it in that order. polish handle, then set knot.

Top Bottom