What's new

Any Unusual Interpretations of Classic Songs

Great thread. Lemonheads - Mrs Robinson is one of my favorite all time favorite covers...
I gotta say I totally disagree w/ this being on this list. What did they do different here? I don't get any 're-intrepretation' here at all.

My submission: Cowboy Junkies, Sweet Jane (covering Velvet Underground).

I gotta say I totally disagree w/ this being on this list. What did they do different here? I don't get any 're-intrepretation' here at all.

My submission: Cowboy Junkies, Sweet Jane (covering Velvet Underground).

Well, I did say it was one of my favorite covers (not necessarily an unusual interpretation on the original), but this thread is about unusual interpretations of classic songs - so you have a valid point :001_cool:

The Roches a capella rendition of Handel's Hallelujah Chorus. They first performed it on Saturday Night Live in 1979.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Anything by Dred Zeppelin. Come on, Zep music to a reggae beat sung by an Elvis impersonator- how more unusual can you get?

Anything by Dred Zeppelin. Come on, Zep music to a reggae beat sung by an Elvis impersonator- how more unusual can you get?

Fantastic suggestion. I used to go see them every year at Summerfest in Milwaukee. Pure ridiculous entertainment.

Tom Jones and The Cardigans interpretation of the Talking Heads' Burning Down The House. It's not a remake of a classic song, but I like it and think it's unusual:

Last edited by a moderator:
Another Dylan song by the Irish trad band DERVISH. I love this version.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
Common People by William Shatner and Joe Jackson (originally by Pulp)

"Common People by William Shatner and Joe Jackson (originally by Pulp)"

Shatner and Joe Jackson !
I don't have the words.....................Too, far out for me ...ROTFLMAO !!

Didn't Shatner do an album in the 1960's ? As I recall, he just spoke the lyrics of some 60's songs in kind of an over dramatic fashion ? First Rapper ? I want to say he did "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", but I may be wrong. ( I hope so, anyway...hehe)

Last edited:
"Tom Jones and The Cardigans interpretation of the Talking Heads' Burning Down The House. It's not a remake of a classic song, but I like it and think it's unusual:

TJ still has his groove going on here...and at his age, too !
Nice one

Last edited:
"Beach Boys, What'd I Say"

I would have never recognized them doing this. Is Brian doing the lead vocals ?
Funny, Dennis was considered the least talented of the Wilson Bros. I always thought he was the coolest one and despite some critics opinion, a pretty dang good drummer, etc...and of course the only surfer in the group..
Good one.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Pure ridiculous entertainment.
I wish I could have seen it. You know, Robert Plant really dug that band. A lot of people tried to steal the Zeppelin sound and never got it. I think these guys knew that the best you could do was make it ridiculous :biggrin:

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member

Shatner and Joe Jackson !
I don't have the words.....................Too, far out for me ...ROTFLMAO !!

Didn't Shatner do an album in the 1960's ? As I recall, he just spoke the lyrics of some 60's songs in kind of an over dramatic fashion ? First Rapper ? I want to say he did "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds", but I may be wrong. ( I hope so, anyway...hehe)

Yikes !
Shatner did do a version of 'Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds' !!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-yy2URAYqU :huh:

Yeah, but we're talking about remakes that are good :lol:

Do listen to the "Common People", it is pretty good, in spite of William Shatner, not because of it!

Top Bottom