What's new

Japanese Chef's Knives vs. Western. Another One of those Threads? You Bet!

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Great detail in those pics. I'd like to see some pics after you use it a bit . . . just wondering how the edge will color up.

She broke her cherry during prep for a nice Panang Red Curry tonight.

After slicing some fresh garlic, onion, bell pepper, Serrano chilis, Thai Red chilis, fresh galangal, and fresh tomatoes, she's developed a nice patina across 3/4 length of the belly. Of course I went to take pics and the battery was low :glare:

Initially, the balance seemed pretty blade heavy. After a little slicing, though, I've come to terms with it. The edge right out of the box was very sharp, but I touched her up a little on some chromium oxide and then some passes on plain leather.

"I'm just mad about saffron; she's just mad about me".

:drool:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd

Save this pic and match it against a new one from the same angle in a few weeks. You'll see a nice three tone look- bulk of the blade stainless, a nice patina below the wavy line, and a sparkling edge.

Nice!

Last edited by a moderator:
It most certainly does. So far, I really love the Western handle/Japanese blade combination. I've just picked up a couple Tojiro DPs, as well, and think highly of them so far. Been meaning to take a pic of the Hiromoto's patina now compared to then.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
It most certainly does. So far, I really love the Western handle/Japanese blade combination. I've just picked up a couple Tojiro DPs, as well, and think highly of them so far. Been meaning to take a pic of the Hiromoto's patina now compared to then.

Well? We're waiting. :biggrin1:

Top Bottom