What's new

Info on brushes maybe?

$IMG_8495.jpgMy mother found these and even though I didn't really need or want any new brushes she bought them for me. Now I have to figure out what they are and what to do with them. I don't really have the time or interest in restoring, but might want to have one done just because. any info on the brushes or anything dealing with them would help.

View attachment 253971

Last edited:
Not sure what specific info you need, but from what I can tell from that picture...

The butterscotch one looks like a Klenzo.
Bottom white/ivory one would be a VDH or Surrey.
Forgot where i've seen the black one before.
The long one looks like a barber's neck brush, used not for shaving but for putting talc powder on after a haircut.
The Red/White handled one looks to be a Certifyed?
And the other im not sure.

it's really hard to tell just from the shapes of them alone. A lot of brushes I've seen have similar / same handle profiles that come from different companies. The best way to get more info is to inspect the brushes themselves. Usually you can find info on brushes in 2 locations:
1. the 'neck' - just below where the knot meets the handle
2. the bottom of the brush
In one or both of these locations, the makers usually stamp the brush model and their names / logos along with what kind of hair it is (badger, 'pure bristle' which usually means boar, or some type of man-made material or blend).

The big trick is, what do those numbers actually mean? To be honest, other than to the marketing folks of said brushes, it almost means nothing to know that you have a #750 brush. For example - I have 2 brushes made by the same company (Made Rite, I believe) that are labeled as being 750's: although the shapes are similar, they aren't exactly the same - one has a thicker base than the other, one is thinner, proportions aren't the same, etc etc.

As to reknoting / restoring one of the brushes, it comes down to personal choice of color / shape of the handle, your skill level, your patience level, and your handiness. There is a lot of info here on the brush-making forum on how to do it. You don't need a lot of fancy tools to do it either as if you're careful and really patient, you could reknot a brush with just a good knife (although I don't recommend it).

I'd say pick one you like, read up on the process in the forums, get your tools out, take your time, and don't be afraid to ask questions! Good luck!

Top Bottom