What's new

Recommendations for an anti dandruff shampoo

I'm prone to outbreaks of dandruff getting large flakes in my hair that are quite visible, I've tried a few brands and either they leave my hair really dry (Head and Shoulders), or they leave my hair soft but aggravate the dandruff making my scalp shed ton of tiny flakes (Garnier Fructis). Can you guys suggest a product that will help keep the dandruff away without leaving my hair dry?

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
DMT:
I use Selsun® Extra Strength 2.5% Dandruff Shampoo with very good results (although I do shave my head weekly).

This shampoo fFor moderate to severe dandruff, seborrhea, and tinea versicolor. Selsun® 2.5% contains a higher concentration of selenium sulfide to aggressively treat problem dandruff and helps reduce, and prevent, itching and flaking. Its extra hydrating formula will help reduce dry, itchy scalp and work to leave your hair and scalp looking and feeling healthier. This product uses a blend of six added moisturizers and conditioners to help nourish hair, making it safe even for those with colour-treated hair.

http://www.thrive.ca/Selsun-Blue/Sh...rength-2-5-/pages/productdetails?nav=R:853309

If this or any shampoo's don't work, then I would advise see your local dermatologist for professional advice / medical care.

proxy.php
"Laughter is the best medicine". Unknown Author

attachment.php

Last edited:
It depends what you've got.
I've gone through a progression of Zinc Pyrithione, Coal Tar, Selenium, and finally Ketoconazole.
See what works (or consult your doctor/dermatologist) - you may even need steroid treatment.

Have you ever tried a shampoo without sodium laurel/laurteth sulfate? Some people (myself included) have a sensitivity to these ingredients that are in most shampoos, and they can trigger dandruff. Most of the anti-dandruff shampoos have high quantities of one or both of them. It might be worth trying one of these as well as the anti-dandruff shampoos. They will not be sold as anti-dandruff (that I've seen), but will be with the more "natural" products most of the time. Most of the shampoo bars will work for this as well.

I never had a problem with lots of flakes, but I could get some major itchy scalp, and since switching to non-SLS/SLES shampoos, it has all cleared up.

YMMV

James

Have you ever tried a shampoo without sodium laurel/laurteth sulfate? Some people (myself included) have a sensitivity to these ingredients that are in most shampoos, and they can trigger dandruff. Most of the anti-dandruff shampoos have high quantities of one or both of them. It might be worth trying one of these as well as the anti-dandruff shampoos. They will not be sold as anti-dandruff (that I've seen), but will be with the more "natural" products most of the time. Most of the shampoo bars will work for this as well.

I never had a problem with lots of flakes, but I could get some major itchy scalp, and since switching to non-SLS/SLES shampoos, it has all cleared up.

YMMV

James
+1,000,000.

SLS turned out to be my problem, as well. I tried every kind of dandruff shampoo on the market.

Problem with using an SLS-free shampoo is that many of them are chock full of SLES, which is almost as bad.

I switched to a Mystic Water shampoo bar and my problem went away. And I had it BAD. Tried all types of special shampoos, saw dermatologists, got prescription-strength anti-fungal shampoos, etc., etc., etc. Try a MW shampoo bar or a QCS shampoo bar and see what happens.

YMMV

James

This is very interesting! I'm a headshaver, but when I had hair I would occasionally get dandruff. I used Selson Blue, Medicated then. I do have a goatee, and when it comes up I still use Selson Medicated. It works. I wonder how my skin would respond when noting these above mentioned ingredients?!?

My barber recommended that I try baking soda. I tried it out and it really worked very well....

First, pour the baking soda in your hand.
Then, add just a little water, and mix them together to make a paste.
Next, rub the paste into your scalp just as you would shampoo.
Allow it to sit a moment, and wash it out.
Then use your shampoo of choice to wash out the baking soda....(you'll see a LOT of suds when you add shampoo...this is normal)

I did this and my dandruff was cleared up in less than a month! And I had dandruff so bad that I was getting sores on my scalp...plaque psoriasis.

Best of luck!

Used to have this problem over ten years ago. Used the medicated shampoos until my bride read something about apple cider vinegar as a rinse being effective. Used it ever since and it works better than the expensive shampoos.

About three or four time a week, simply rinse your hair with a mix of about a half cup cider vinegar and a cup of water. It doesn't need to be exact. Let it sit for a while then rinse or shampoo. I do this at night sometimes and don't rinse it. Both work

Good luck.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I'll see if I can get a non-SLS/SLES shampoo locally and if that doesn't work I'll try some of the other suggestions if I can find the same products over here

I use DHS Zinc which has 2% zinc rather than the 1% normally found in dandruff shampoo. I also got a good tip that helped me with this problem: don't was your hair everyday. Since I went to washing it every two or thee days I have had less trouble. I also found that regularly changing the kind of conditioner I use helps. Here's a link for DHS:

http://www.personandcovey.com/product.asp?categoryid=1

I went to the dermatologist and he told me that I have seborrheic dermatitis and gave me some D Fine shampoo to use. It hasn't helped at all. He also gave me some Glyderm face wash (that didn't help my face at all). My hair routine has been to use D. Fine, then head and shoulders, then use the face wash on my scalp. The combination of everything really has stopped the large chunks from forming. I think it was something with the extra acids.

My barber recommended that I try baking soda. I tried it out and it really worked very well....

First, pour the baking soda in your hand.
Then, add just a little water, and mix them together to make a paste.
Next, rub the paste into your scalp just as you would shampoo.
Allow it to sit a moment, and wash it out.
Then use your shampoo of choice to wash out the baking soda....(you'll see a LOT of suds when you add shampoo...this is normal)

I did this and my dandruff was cleared up in less than a month! And I had dandruff so bad that I was getting sores on my scalp...plaque psoriasis.

Best of luck!

I might try this. How much baking soda and water should be used though?

I use Chagrin Valley Shampoo Bars, the Ayurvedic Herb and Nettle varieties to be exact. After a few days of using them my flakes disappeared and the itchy scalp faded away. I had severe itching, I'd go nuts digging like a dog sometimes it was so bad, I'd even develop small welts all over my scalp. That's all gone now, I don't know if it was SLS allergies or something else but I'm never going back to commercial shampoo.

I switched to a Mystic Water shampoo bar and my problem went away. And I had it BAD. Tried all types of special shampoos, saw dermatologists, got prescription-strength anti-fungal shampoos, etc., etc., etc. Try a MW shampoo bar or a QCS shampoo bar and see what happens.

Adding to my next MW order now. thanks for the info!

Seems that I have a touch of scalp psoriasis and what worked for me was good old Grandpas Pine Tar Soap 2 - 3 times a week ... Non-drying ... smells like a lumber yard or campfire but been around for decades and has helped immensely. Head and Shoulders shampoo to me was junk.

I use neutrogena T Gel..helps with my oily hair 1-2 times a week..I wouldnt be suprised if it works well for dandruff as well

Seems that I have a touch of scalp psoriasis and what worked for me was good old Grandpas Pine Tar Soap 2 - 3 times a week ... Non-drying ... smells like a lumber yard or campfire but been around for decades and has helped immensely. Head and Shoulders shampoo to me was junk.

It's funny. I have psoriasis on my face and based on recommendations here and there I bought Grandpas but it just made it worse. I guess it was too strong for my sensitive face. It didnt work for me but I know it works for many. Didn't try it on my scalp. Need to see a doctor again. Not even sure if it is psoriasis...could be dermatitis etc.

I'm in no way affiliated, received any freebies, or anything else considered "fishy" but I have had good success with QCS Peppermint Eucalyptus Shampoo bars. This is just my opinion ~ but worth a shot. Good Luck

Tim

Top Bottom