Thread: Lighting up

Default Lighting up

Hi gents!
    I've been pipe smoking for more than a year and recently jump in to the cigars world...
    For lighting my pipe I got a torch lighter (blue flame, angled). For the cigars I got another torch lighter (blue flame, not angled).
    The issue is that I find a little tricky to light the cigars with the pipe lighter and vice versa; then I saw this vid and found the idea of using a single lighter is quite appealing, plus I already had a zippo lying somewhere...

The bottom question is: will the zippo damage the taste of the tobacco? is polite/acceptable use this kind of lighter on socials circumstances?

Thanks folks!

After the first few puffs, I don't notice the Zippo taste at all. I would be more worried however, about burning the briar with a torch. Them suckers is HOT!
    You are what you is, and that's all it is.

Images

You definitely want to get a candle light flame lighter. A cheap BIC or expensive pipe lighter all work great. As mentioned above torch lighters will scare your briar and you don't want that. Torch lighters are for cigars, candlelite for pipes :)
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison

Images

Oh and you can get a butane pipe lighter insert for zippos that is around $15 and real slick!
    I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work. - Thomas A. Edison

If you fire up the Zippo and let it burn for a couple of seconds before applying the flame to the tobacco of choice then you should have no naptha flavor at all. It is only the first couple of seconds that give the Zippo flavor.

Quote Originally Posted by DC_MPA View Post
    Torch lighters are for cigars, candlelite for pipes :)
    really? I found easy to use a candlelite on cigars... I think I need some training on the cigars

Images

Oh most definitely, I don't use a torch on anything personally. My point was just that if you use a torch, keep it for cigars

Quote Originally Posted by DC_MPA View Post
    Oh most definitely, I don't use a torch on anything personally. My point was just that if you use a torch, keep it for cigars
    Will do!

Images

I use matches or xikar pipe lighter or a bic to light my pipes. For cigars I use a torch lighter to toast the foot, then light with a zippo.
    -Sal
    Frequenter of The Brown Leaf, and Moderator of the California State Wetshavers Group
    Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam. Men of Mind, Men of Culture, Men of Pride.