What's new

Getting started with fountain pens.

Hello!

I asked a couple of questions in the thread about how you rate your own penmanship a while ago and while I got some answers and recommendations they are still far from complete to get me to buy what I need.My penmanship has always been lousy. Years ago my high school chemistry teacher told me to print-write (his words) ...I've done that ever since and my handwriting now...is barely readable...a marked improvement over what it was originally.

I want to know what are all the essentials that you need. I can imagine that both the pen and ink are quite important but there must also be some other stuff?
I've been looking at Noodler's and Lamy pens and the reviews seem to be a bit mixed. I've seen some reports of the Lamy pens leaking with Noodler's ink and well, that wouldn't be much fun!I'm retired now, but was a professional and a manager of professionals, for over 30 years and in that time I was constantly writing. I found ballpoints hard to write with...I hold the pen tightly, perhaps too tightly and I found the resistance of the ball point...tiring.

So about 35 years ago I tried fountain pens. Eureka...much less resistance...a good fountain pen flows.
I've had a lot of fountain pens over the years...but my favorite workhorses were and are the Sheaffer White Dot...with a medium gold nib. I used both bottled ink and cartridges...but I find cartridges more convenient.

The key to reliable fountain pen operation is to:

-continually write with them...don't let them sit for 2 weeks , otherwise the ink feed tube will clog due to the ink drying up. When that happens, drain the ink or remove the cartridge, take the pen apart, hold it under a sink faucet, with a light to medium not high pressure flow as you don't want to damage the inner workings. This flow of water will wash the ink out. You'll know the tube is clear , when the water running through the nib is clear.
Then let the individual parts dry out on a paper towel overnight. Gently dry off any components with a light application of a paper towel. In the morning re-assemble and replace the ink.

-Don't let anyone else write with your fountain pen...a fountain pen 'adjusts' to your hand pressure...lending it out will affect this...I carry another pen (a cheap ballpoint) if someone wants to borrow my pen...they get the ballpoint.

-Remember the fountain pen is a fine instrument. Take care not to drop it (usually seems to land on the nib point which isn't good)
and be careful the fountain pen doesn't roll off the desk...also keep the cap on...when finished or not using it...ink could dry otherwise.

So what I want is just a list of all the essentials like a good pen and a good ink or two (Bulletproof seems to be the way to go) and whatever other things you need for maintenance and such.

Thanks!

//Unkas
I had a great deal of pleasure using my fountain pens and although my care list sounds finicky...it's really not that difficult and when you write a report using a fountain pen....it's not just a report as it would be with a ball point pen...but with the fountain pen...it's a document. :biggrin1:

Last edited:
If you have not seen Goulet Pens on-line web site, I recommend you look at it. It is a very reputable shop, and there are many videos-- "filling your pen", "maintaining your pen", and so on. I believe they are in a section called Fountain Pens 101.

They also, have a section called the Swab Shop. They made sample swabs of many of the inks they sell--over 500. You can view the inks by color or by brand. It will help you see how many inks we have to choose from.

It is well worth looking at their site before you buy.

I just wanted to thank all you fine gentlemen for your advice on the matter here but unfortunately I don't have room in the budget for this at the moment but I will try to sell some stuff on the BST so I can afford it but it might be tricky to get things sold considering pretty high shipping costs from Sweden :thumbdown
I figured I could try a platinum preppy for a cheap fix and entrance to the world of fountain pens but I found that it wouldn't be very wise considering that the shipping would end up costing like 3 times the pen.
At least you have helped me get some insight into this and I know what to get when the time comes and for that I want to thank you all!

There's got to some brick and mortar stores in Sweden that sell pens and supplies? See what you can find at a stationery or artists supply store, then research those specific brands here to see if they're worth getting.

There's got to some brick and mortar stores in Sweden that sell pens and supplies? See what you can find at a stationery or artists supply store, then research those specific brands here to see if they're worth getting.
I've found a store here that sells fountain pens but they have ridiculous prices in true Swedish fashion. At the currency rate now they charge 52$ for a Lamy AL-star so it would still be cheaper to get from Goulet!

Go to whatever Sweden's version of Staples or Office Max is and look for Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens. That will get you started. Bic also makes a similar pen. These only cost a few dollars.

Go to whatever Sweden's version of Staples or Office Max is and look for Pilot Varsity disposable fountain pens. That will get you started. Bic also makes a similar pen. These only cost a few dollars.
Found the Pilot Varsity here but it would set me back 10$ so that is as much as ordering a platinum preppy+shipping from Goulet.. bah!

Found the Pilot Varsity here but it would set me back 10$ so that is as much as ordering a platinum preppy+shipping from Goulet.. bah!

I also have a Platinum Preppy that sits largely unused due to my Lamy. If it's going to cost you $10 to get a Preppy, don't bother. They're okay and can easily be converted into an eye dropper pen but I wouldn't buy one for $10. Instead, I'd just save that money to purchase a better fountain pen.

I've never used a Pilot Varsity so can't provide any advice there.

How many pens are in the Varsity pack? Here in the U.S. they usually comes in packs of 3 for around $6-7. If you get 2 or 3 pens in your pack, that would be a fair deal.

How many pens are in the Varsity pack? Here in the U.S. they usually comes in packs of 3 for around $6-7. If you get 2 or 3 pens in your pack, that would be a fair deal.
Only one...! You can buy a 12 pack for 65$ so still very expensive :a36:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Unkas,

Buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-black...ltDomain_0&hash=item5192ef0fd6#ht_1565wt_1008

Pilot 78G, best starter fountain pen for $10 shipped that you can hope to buy anywhere. It comes with a converter and one cartridge. You can start with the cartridge and switch over to bottled ink when that runs out. Depending on how much you write, the cartridge should last a little while.

:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

... how could I have missed this option??

Yes, of course, the 78g!! Great little pen, and the free worldwide shipping solves a lot of your problems. Really, the only thing left to sort out is an ongoing ink supply, and the same seller has ink that'll ship to Sweden for $3

Unkas,

Buy this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pilot-black...ltDomain_0&hash=item5192ef0fd6#ht_1565wt_1008

Pilot 78G, best starter fountain pen for $10 shipped that you can hope to buy anywhere. It comes with a converter and one cartridge. You can start with the cartridge and switch over to bottled ink when that runs out. Depending on how much you write, the cartridge should last a little while.

:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

... how could I have missed this option??

Yes, of course, the 78g!! Great little pen, and the free worldwide shipping solves a lot of your problems. Really, the only thing left to sort out is an ongoing ink supply, and the same seller has ink that'll ship to Sweden for $3
That pen actually looks pretty nice! I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on that one but just one question here before I buy it. Since the pen uses a cartridge would I have to get a converter or should I keep on refilling the cartridge with a syringe or something?

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
That pen actually looks pretty nice! I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on that one but just one question here before I buy it. Since the pen uses a cartridge would I have to get a converter or should I keep on refilling the cartridge with a syringe or something?

That pen comes with a converter too.

(You can use the converter with bottled ink, you can refill the cartridge with a syringe, you can use cartridge after cartridge, or you can "eyedropper" the pen with a bit of silicone grease, and fill with a syringe or eyedropper.)

Yes, it comes with a simple squeeze converter installed. You'll have to remove it to insert the cartridge. I have 4 of these pens - 1 in each color and will probably buy more. That seller is a good seller too. I think you will definitely enjoy the pen.

Top Bottom