I thought Wakasa stones were soft; I was suprised at how hard this one is.
It came to me as a gift, but it had a few issues. The stone had split in two, and there was a nasty fissure in the top.
It's glued up solidly now, but I still need to seal the sides a bit more in a few places though.
The L-shaped fissure in the top ran 3/4 of the stone's width, then it ran 2/3 of the way down the side. Maybe it was about 1/2" in from the edge the whole way. This was the biggest challenge. After much lapping, the top is good to go.
Why bother? Why waste that much effort on a cracked and problematic hone you ask?
Well - I have this knife, it's basically a razor; it's got a 3" blade that's just a thin flexy wedge. I think it was originally intended for cutting leather but I'm not sure. Anyway, I needed to use it, but the edge was badly chipped from the last thing I wasn't supposed to use it for.
So - I set a new bevel, and gave it a short spin on this stone - the fissures and cracks were still there mind you. After maybe 5 minutes on a 1k, and another 10 minutes of Botan slurry, I finished up with 50 laps on slurry from a Diamond Nagura. I think I could have shaved with that edge. Seriously.
So - I decided to rescue the stone from becoming a bunch of Tomo Nagura. I have to finish lapping it; I started with 50x, and stopped at 320x. I think I took 3.0mm off the top; I'm too tired to finish it now - 3mm is a lot of stone to remove.
It's a Kita, with some light figuring - possibly Kan, Nashiji, and Goma. The Goma is there for sure. Whether or not the flecks are really Nashiji, or if that little ring pattern is actually Kan is speculative.