What's new

Vie-Long Butterscotch Beehive or Shavemac 167-26... Recommendations

Ok need some advice folks. My Vie-Long Butterscotch Beehive arrived and the logo was worn off. The vendor offered a partial refund or to return and swap for another. I prefer large brushes and I'm thinking about swapping for the Shavemac 167-26 which is a larger knot and loft. What do you all think? I like this vendor so I plan on buying a large brush from him or possibly just keeping the Beehive. Recommendations?

http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/sh16insi2.html or http://www.bullgooseshaving.net/vibubeinsiba.html

Never tried the V-L Silver-Tip, I own four Shavemacs, two Silver-Tip and two Finest, they all are luxuriously dense and build a fine lather quickly. I don't use my Shavemacs much, but they are one of the Top of The Line Badger Brush Manufacturers I'd heartily recommend.

I currently have 2 Shavemacs and had the 167-26 (sold it).
I really like my Shavemacs and they are very regular in my rotation but for me the 26mm knot was just a bit too big as I find 23 - 24mm my sweet zone. That said if you like larger brushes, the 167-26 is a wonderful brush.
Here is an older pic of my Shavemacs: The middle being the 167-26, the one on the left is a 24mm x 52 custom, and the right is a 23mm semi-custom. Although it doesn't really look it, the middle is a bigger brush.

Attachments

• $DSC_9121_1742.jpg
    $DSC_9121_1742.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 204
If it fits in your budget, both is the answer. Phil is a fantastic vendor & I've been eyeing that VL. What did you think of the brush, beside the printing issue?

If it fits in your budget, both is the answer. Phil is a fantastic vendor & I've been eyeing that VL. What did you think of the brush, beside the printing issue?

Its so beautiful I've thought about keeping it and getting the shavemac. Problem is I have a Parker brush that is identical in size that works like a charm and was a fraction of the price. I'm not sure what to do...

I currently have 2 Shavemacs and had the 167-26 (sold it).
I really like my Shavemacs and they are very regular in my rotation but for me the 26mm knot was just a bit too big as I find 23 - 24mm my sweet zone. That said if you like larger brushes, the 167-26 is a wonderful brush.
Here is an older pic of my Shavemacs: The middle being the 167-26, the one on the left is a 24mm x 52 custom, and the right is a 23mm semi-custom. Although it doesn't really look it, the middle is a bigger brush.

Did you find the 167-26 to be floppy? Did it have a strong backbone?

I really like that Phil offered you so many options. It's nice to see that from a vendor. Personally, if money wasn't an issue, I'd take the partial refund and keep the Vie-Long and then get the Shavemac :001_cool:. I don't have any experience with either brush though I'm afraid. I just like to enable and live vicariously.

I agree with drocu. I have both the V-L beehive and several Shavemacs. You want both! Keep the beehive and apply the partial credit to the other brush.

I have the Vie-Long Butterscotch Beehive in Natural Horse instead of the Silvertip, so I can't speak to the business end. The handle is gorgeous though and I'd want to keep it if I were you for that reason alone. Difficult decision. Seems like both is a good option.

I really like that Phil offered you so many options. It's nice to see that from a vendor. Personally, if money wasn't an issue, I'd take the partial refund and keep the Vie-Long and then get the Shavemac :001_cool:. I don't have any experience with either brush though I'm afraid. I just like to enable and live vicariously.

I just sent him an email asking if I could go with this option. I wasn't planning on taking the partial refund, but it will make me feel better about applying it to a future purchase. I agree with you, Phil is awesome to work with.

Top Bottom