What's new

Meershaum Kit from eBay

I won this on eBay last night - it's a 'carve-it-yourself' meershaum pipe kit. I've been wanting to try a meer, and I thought this might be a fun way to do that.
Anyone tried carving their own meershaum? Any ideas on shapes that might work well for this one? (Granted, you can't see much of the block in the picture..)

proxy.php

proxy.php

I know nothing about carving or pipes for that matter, but I would suggested attempting to carve something that holds meaning to you. Myself, I would carve a pineapple or one of my dogs, something like that.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I'm going to have to say that as beautiful as that is, my carving skills fall waaaay short of that level..

It's easy, all you have to do is carve away everything that isn't a detailed dragon's foot holding an intricately decorated floral patterned pipe bowl. It's already there all you have to do is uncover it. :blink:

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Seriously though, I wouldn't get caught up in trying to carve something super intricate. Traditional briar pipe shapes also look great in meerschaum.

I've considered carving one, but most of the videos I've seen of meershaum carvers appear to be carving wet or damp meerschaum. I figured I'd be more likely to break one, they seem a lot less forgiving than briar. The billiard shape is good way to start, even if it isn't perfect, they still look like a nice freehand pipe. Good luck with it and keep us posted.

A little belt sander would make quick work of that sucker . You could be smoking in 10 minutes unless you decided to carve a gargoyle in the face or something.

I would go with an asymmetrical shape with round edges. Shape it until you like it. Maybe even make it an abstract shape...like a dollop of cool whip...mmmmmmm...cooooooool whiiiiiiiiiip...
proxy.php

Last edited:
I would go with an asymmetrical shape with round edges. Shape it until you like it. Maybe even make it an abstract shape...like a dollop of cool whip...mmmmmmm...cooooooool whiiiiiiiiiip...

I like it! (It also has the benefit of no one being able to tell if I screw it up.)

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I carved one of those kits many years ago, and no longer have it. It was in the shape of a pair of breasts and got a lot of compliments. It was an easy design to work out and execute, unlike the gargoyle or dragon foot holding something or laughing Bacchus with a crown of grapes sort of thing. I considered having the breasts' owner's hands cupping and lifting them but decided that since I am not much of an artist, I would stick to the simple design. BTW if you got any instructions with it, they probably tell you to keep the meer damp while you are working it. It works much easier than dry. Keep your carving tools very very sharp. You can "sand" with a piece of an old t-shirt. Take your time. Always cut half as deep as you think you ought to. It is easy to go back and take off some more. Not so easy to put a little back on!

I think I'm going to stick with a basic 'pipe' shape, and hope for the best. I'll post some pics when it gets here.

Top Bottom