What's new

Meershaum Kit from eBay

the problem with the cool whip ideas is that once it colors it'll look like

proxy.php

mmmmmmmmmm...chocolate soft serve!

a pair of breasts
ok, scrap my original post, I think we have a winner !!
But in all seriousness, it looks like you are going for a classic pipe shape which looks nice, but wouldn't you want to take this opportunity to make it something unique ?? Maybe not a pineapple or a nice pair of breast, but something that will be a nice conversation piece.

But in all seriousness, it looks like you are going for a classic pipe shape which looks nice, but wouldn't you want to take this opportunity to make it something unique ?? Maybe not a pineapple or a nice pair of breast, but something that will be a nice conversation piece.

I'm afraid that if I try for anything much more than a classic pipe shape, the only conversation that I'll hear is how bad it looks..

OK guys - I finished the pipe kit! I was surprised at how quickly it went, and it was relatively easy and very fun/relaxing to do. Very little of the shaping was done by carving - most of it was done using sandpaper. I found that sanding removed the meer easier and smoother than using a carving knife.

Here's another look at what I started with:
proxy.php

In progress:
proxy.php

proxy.php

And here is the finished product:

proxy.php

proxy.php

I had a moment of panic when I waxed it - I used melted beeswax, heated in a pan and wiped on with a clean soft rag. I couldn't get it off! I had to dip the pipe into warm water to soften it up, then wipe it off and polish it.

You can see a couple of flaws in the meershaum - they didn't show up unti it was waxed for some reason, but I think they give it a little character.
I'm pretty pleased with it - I'm going to let it sit for a few days, then fire it up.

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
Hot Damn that's nice. That actually turned out way better than I was expecting.

Now that We know you have skills do the Dragon's foot.

I think it looks great! It's not easy getting proportions correct and even. Excellent for a first pipe.

I carve Sacred Pipes for ceremonial use, out of pipestone (Catlinite). I think it's probably more dense than meerschaum. Anyway, the way I put the beeswax on is to heat the bowl in the oven for 20-30 minutes, then grab it with a hotpad and rub the bar of beeswax right onto it and buff it up right away. That's actually my favorite part-it smells great and really brings out a luster. I have heard that it can (rarely) crack in the oven, but then it can crack while you are carving it, too.

I hope you do more!

Yeah, looks great brother! Funny thing is I was actually thinking of a very similar design, but thought it be too simple for what you were looking for. I'm glad you picked it because it looks fantastic.

Top Bottom