What's new

Which Portugese cream to pick

Which of the following Portugese creams with lanolin is the best?

• Musgo Real

• O Melhor

• Lavanda

• Veleiro

• Top Secret

• Get something else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I just didn't know if it was a fairly straightforward lemon scent, or if it was like wine, where they say it has "aromas of buckcherrys, leather, morning dew, and fairy dust". :sleep:
Its straightforward lemon ... I checked the list of ingredients, and it just list "Parfum" or Fragrance, but my nose can't detect anything more complex or additional than just lemon.

Firstly a big shoutout to WildAlaska for being kind enough to send me a sample.

Secondly, WOW!I have had just two shaves with it and both have been super good. Extremely smooth, no irritation and really good feel afterwards. Maybe the lanolin suits me. Will definitely be ordering more of the Portugese lanolin creams.

I am not sure when I will get back to my other creams :)

Firstly a big shoutout to WildAlaska for being kind enough to send me a sample.

Secondly, WOW!I have had just two shaves with it and both have been super good. Extremely smooth, no irritation and really good feel afterwards. Maybe the lanolin suits me. Will definitely be ordering more of the Portugese lanolin creams.

I am not sure when I will get back to my other creams :)

Glad ya got it. Its really not as bad as I say it is :biggrin1:
. I actually found that it worked well without a brush, it just wasnt as good with a brush as my other creams. Maybe it was the lanolin. Scent was kind of boringto me.

Glad ya got it. Its really not as bad as I say it is :biggrin1:
. I actually found that it worked well without a brush, it just wasnt as good with a brush as my other creams. Maybe it was the lanolin. Scent was kind of boringto me.

Shows how much YMMV applies to shaving stuff. I have tried the 3Ts and still enjoy this more.

I like the O Melhor scent quite a bit. Not sure I detected any citrus, but it was more like cologne for me.

Among several samples of other things (mainly Trumpers and Taylor), I got a sample of Musgo Real today. I'm anxious to try it.

I voted for something else. If you feel a need to get something from this list, then you should and probably won't be disappointed. But, if you are looking for a product that performs well, there are other, better options.

I'll admit that I have only tried the Musgo, but if all these creams are made by the same producer and perform similarly, then none of them are really that good. Musgo has a fantastic scent and I try to use it in Uberlathers often, but it simply does not provide slick enough lather to compete with other creams (or soaps).

I voted for something else. If you feel a need to get something from this list, then you should and probably won't be disappointed. But, if you are looking for a product that performs well, there are other, better options.

I'll admit that I have only tried the Musgo, but if all these creams are made by the same producer and perform similarly, then none of them are really that good. Musgo has a fantastic scent and I try to use it in Uberlathers often, but it simply does not provide slick enough lather to compete with other creams (or soaps).
:thumbdown
Shows how much YMMV applies to shaving stuff. I have tried the 3Ts and still enjoy this more.

I think many find these Portuguese creams to be top performers, including me.

:thumbdown

I think many find these Portuguese creams to be top performers, including me.

Not sure what you dislike about my post or why you feel that you need to respond by giving me a snarky thumb down? I am fortunate to have tried a number of creams and soaps and have given them all the attention they deserve. I am confident that I have taken the time to figure out how to produce the optimum performance from any product that I have tried. When I could not make the lather work through trial and error, I asked the B&B community for advice.

The OP asked a question, I answered it as honestly and accurately as I could in the hopes of being helpful and with the intention of sharing experience. I even explained why I feel this way. If your experience differs from mine, I appreciate that. This is why I did not take issue with what anyone else was saying and did not question anyone else's preference for one of these products. I simply stated my opinion. If you are an advocate of a certain product, go ahead, but there is no need to discourage others from sharing knowledge that runs counter to your opinion.

Not sure what you dislike about my post or why you feel that you need to respond by giving me a snarky thumb down? I am fortunate to have tried a number of creams and soaps and have given them all the attention they deserve. I am confident that I have taken the time to figure out how to produce the optimum performance from any product that I have tried. When I could not make the lather work through trial and error, I asked the B&B community for advice.

The OP asked a question, I answered it as honestly and accurately as I could in the hopes of being helpful and with the intention of sharing experience. I even explained why I feel this way. If your experience differs from mine, I appreciate that. This is why I did not take issue with what anyone else was saying and did not question anyone else's preference for one of these products. I simply stated my opinion. If you are an advocate of a certain product, go ahead, but there is no need to discourage others from sharing knowledge that runs counter to your opinion.

Settle down, I was trying to point out the OP's own post (not just give your post a thumbs down, which you seem to take very seriously). You said that they just weren't very good, and that there were many better options. YMMV is the rule, and I was pointing that out. The OP himself said that he tried one and found it much better than the other creams he tried, just a few posts above yours in fact.

Remember, saying things like "This soap or cream is not good" or "Cream A is better than cream B" is pretty silly, since that varies from person to person.

Your scolding at the end is ironic, because that's what I was trying to get across to you (too subtly, I suppose). Maybe re-read what you said, it didn't come across that you were only stating your personal opinion.

After having a good experience with the O Melhor, I went ahead and ordered the Musgo Real, Top Secret and Velerio. I enjoyed the fresh smell of Musgo Real and it produced a lot of slick, thick lather. The Velerio seemed identical to the O Melhor. I have yet to try the Top Secret, but am not too fond of the scent - I smell a bit of tobacco in it.

Hi, all!

Just though you might like to know that Musgo Real's new scents have already been released here in Portugal. Along with the classic scent, the cream now comes in Orange Amber, Oak Moss, Spiced Citrus, Lavender and Lime Basil!

Hi, all!

Just though you might like to know that Musgo Real's new scents have already been released here in Portugal. Along with the classic scent, the cream now comes in Orange Amber, Oak Moss, Spiced Citrus, Lavender and Lime Basil!

Where can you burn the new MR's online ?
I'm from Denmark, Europe BTW

Where can you burn the new MR's online ?
I'm from Denmark, Europe BTW

They've just started selling them on the factory's shop (the one that is inside the actual factory where the creams are made), check with Madaíl on http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/, he should have them soon enough, perhaps next week.

For the people across the pond, Phil at Bullgoose will probably be the first to stock them.

There are a couple of other new items, but we are kind of keeping them to ourselves at this point! :001_cool:

Can I just say a couple of things in response to a couple of posts I've read:

- Lavanda was REALLY discontinued for 2 or 3 years, then they changed their minds and launched another one, with a different formulation (the old one was similar to Musgo Real, we're guessing the new MR Lavanda to be the same formulation as the old lavanda)

- In the Portuguese Forum, Barbear Clássico, where almost everybody has tried all of the Portuguese SC (including some you've never heard about) Musgo Real is the preferred one by some margin, even the people who prefer the aroma of Veleiro or Top Secret recognize MR to be the best Portuguese SC, just not their favorite!

They've just started selling them on the factory's shop (the one that is inside the actual factory where the creams are made), check with Madaíl on http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com/, he should have them soon enough, perhaps next week.

For the people across the pond, Phil at Bullgoose will probably be the first to stock them.

There are a couple of other new items, but we are kind of keeping them to ourselves at this point! :001_cool:

Can I just say a couple of things in response to a couple of posts I've read:

- Lavanda was REALLY discontinued for 2 or 3 years, then they changed their minds and launched another one, with a different formulation (the old one was similar to Musgo Real, we're guessing the new MR Lavanda to be the same formulation as the old lavanda)

- In the Portuguese Forum, Barbear Clássico, where almost everybody has tried all of the Portuguese SC (including some you've never heard about) Musgo Real is the preferred one by some margin, even the people who prefer the aroma of Veleiro or Top Secret recognize MR to be the best Portuguese SC, just not their favorite!

I think O Melhor is equal to Musgo Real in terms of performance to be honest :thumbup:

Top Bottom