What's new

Which Portugese cream to pick

Which of the following Portugese creams with lanolin is the best?

• Musgo Real

• O Melhor

• Lavanda

• Veleiro

• Top Secret

• Get something else.

Results are only viewable after voting.
By the way, if you like lemony scents try Via Men shaving cream. It's made by Confiança as well, lanolized and at least as good as Veleiro but a lot cheaper! You can buy it at ThePortugalOnlineShop.

Good suggestion! Thanks for the heads up, I hadn't heard of this one before.

That's a good enough reason not to vote, but I think that there are some people who voted for Musgo Real that haven't tried anything else either. Musgo Real will definitely get the most votes, because it's so much more common. If there were a vote for soaps, I think that Tabac would get many more votes that Klar Rasierseife for the same reason, even though I'd say Klar is miles ahead on performance (and scent too, IMO). This doesn't mean that Musgo Real isn't the "best" (if there is such a thing), but it should be taken into account when you look at the poll results.

Good point. There is no real best as there is usually a ymmv. I just wanted to see what people think in general.

My vote goes to Veleiro...for me, the lather just seems to be a bit better than Musgo Real. I am pretty much obsessed with both of them, so I don't think you can go wrong with either. For me, the quality of shave I get with these creams beats any of the T&H creams I have tried. I will say, though, the T&H sandalwood may get my vote for most intoxicating aroma of any cream.

Thats really generous of you! But I plan to buy a tube of O Melhor anyway, so please go ahead.

You should take it. I have a brand new tube. This is a chance to try it out before buying it. If having a new tube is important, you'll at least know whether you like it, and you could always pass this one on.

If you don't want it, I think it should still go to someone who hasn't tried it before. If not, then I don't have a problem taking it.

I'm very surprised Top Secret hasn't gotten any votes so far, considering how popular floral scents are on this board. It has a nice musky rose scent.

I'm very surprised Top Secret hasn't gotten any votes so far, considering how popular floral scents are on this board. It has a nice musky rose scent.

I know why - YOU CAN'T BUY IT ANYWHERE !

I have seen it in one online shop in the us, and so far never seen it online in any euro shave shop, so I think that's a pretty good reason :biggrin1:

You should take it. I have a brand new tube. This is a chance to try it out before buying it. If having a new tube is important, you'll at least know whether you like it, and you could always pass this one on.

If you don't want it, I think it should still go to someone who hasn't tried it before. If not, then I don't have a problem taking it.

Will take it them. PMing.

I know why - YOU CAN'T BUY IT ANYWHERE !

I have seen it in one online shop in the us, and so far never seen it online in any euro shave shop, so I think that's a pretty good reason :biggrin1:

It seems to me that Lavanda, Veleiro, and O Melhor aren't much more available, but they each have votes. In my searches, Lavanda and O Melhor seemed to be even less available than Top Secret.
I know that in the USA, at least Royal Shave, Bullgoose, and Razor Blades and More carry Top Secret.
http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com is probably the best European vendor for these creams.

Cheers

It seems to me that Lavanda, Veleiro, and O Melhor aren't much more available, but they each have votes. In my searches, Lavanda and O Melhor seemed to be even less available than Top Secret.
I know that in the USA, at least Royal Shave, Bullgoose, and Razor Blades and More carry Top Secret.
http://www.theportugalonlineshop.com is probably the best European vendor for these creams.

Cheers

Thanks for the link and tips :thumbup:
Always on the lookout for shops that sell the more cheap tube creams - I'm running out of space for pot and tubs of creams and need to start 'collectiong' tubes now. Just counted my shave cream tubs in my cupboard - I have 52 now :cursing:

Need to stop - just enjoy testing and owning shaving creams so much - makes this shaving hobby even more fun - just bought a tube of Penhaligon Opus 1870 and WoW that's some serious good stuff right there ( own all 3 tubes of Penhaligon now )

Need to go more into the Portugese products - since I only own Musgo Real and O Melhor, both are fine products made by the same OEM.

I really like the smell of the Veleiro, it's got a nice marine scent. Makes a great superlather with Sea Buckthorn too.
The Lavanda is a similar performer with a nice lavender scent. I haven't opened my tube of Lanolizado yet.

It is fairly mild in use, noticeable but not obnoxious. The scent lingers for a few minutes afterwards, but should be mostly gone after rinsing and applying your aftershave.

I just didn't know if it was a fairly straightforward lemon scent, or if it was like wine, where they say it has "aromas of buckcherrys, leather, morning dew, and fairy dust". :sleep:

Top Bottom