Thread: Parker Shavette

1. Default Parker Shavette

So I recently decied to buy a Parker Shavette and I was wondering who all has shaved with these. I bought it to hopfully help with the wicked learning curve that goes with straight razor shaving. Let me know
    Bashfulness is an ornament to youth, but a reproach to old age.

It's much sharper than a regular straight, and the learning curve may even be steeper. That said, once you get used to it you should be able to get wonderful, close shaves.

Good luck!
    Member of SABRE

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebriz View Post
    It's much sharper than a regular straight, and the learning curve may even be steeper. That said, once you get used to it you should be able to get wonderful, close shaves.

Good luck!
    +1. The Parker shavette is definitely sharper and less forgiving than an actual straight. Personally, I think a straight is much easier and safer to use.
    Please don't tempt me to buy anymore.

Images

Just keep it almost flat against your face and you'll be fine.
    One, two! One, two! and through and through...The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!

Images

Yeah, and no back and forth slicing motions too. The thing is sharp enough that I'd you place the blade on the skin stationary for too long the natural shaking of your hand can induce some cuts.
    ~ ​​Kent
    <[Self-certified Straight Shaver]>
    。。現在日本剃刀に夢中。。

i have one and used it just because i was curious. it is sharper than regular straits and the curve is a bit steeper.IMO. but i was a straight user already before using it.

I have one and use it from time to time. Works well for me for travel if I dont want to take a strop. I will agree, far less forgiving than a traditional straight. Very capable of a fine shave though. Stay with it, take your time and I'm sure you'll get great results. However, if you don't, don;t give up on straights. These are very different and, as said above, more difficult than using a traditional straight.

I started out on a Parker and I felt it was a good place to begin my journey. I wouldn't change a thing if I had to do it again. I still use it on occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by kowalzekc View Post
    So I recently decied to buy a Parker Shavette and I was wondering who all has shaved with these. I bought it to hopfully help with the wicked learning curve that goes with straight razor shaving. Let me know
    I got one of those after having trouble with a Dovo shavette and Filarmonica shavette. It was much better, although now I can use all of them. It won't spare you the learning curve but it will let you learn without having to strop and hone to maintain your blade. Good move. If I had it to do all over again I would have learned with a Parker shavette. If you can shave with the Parker you can shave with the traditional straight.

I also started with a Parker. I'll still use it now and again, but going from a straight back to that, I tend to nick myself. I still think it's a great, and inexpensive, way to get stated with a str8.

Lanesborough, In the "other" Massachusetts

The Parker is a very nice, inexpensive, disposable blade straight. I have 3 of them, and if I had to I could use any of the Parker's as my only straight.
    Regards, Paul

Images

Quote Originally Posted by dpmtherrien View Post
    The Parker is a very nice, inexpensive, disposable blade straight. I have 3 of them, and if I had to I could use any of the Parker's as my only straight.
    3 different ones? If so, which one do you like the best and why?
    -Nick

STEWARD TO THE SHAVING SOAP FORUM
    Have a question? We are here to help

You won't be disappointed. It's certainly a bit different than using a straight as others have said. It's gread for travel and those days you're too lazy to strop.

When you switch to a straight you won't use it all that much, but you'll be glad you have it on those occasions.