What's new

Rockports VS Allen Edmonds...

While I'm a big fan of AEs, I too have owned literally dozens of Rockport shoes over the past few years. I'm going to recommend that you go with the Rockport's for two reasons; 1) you've said you don't mind replacing them every year or so, and 2) you're going to need two pairs (no matter which way you go, you can't wear the same shoes everyday). Given this, you'll be able to get two pair for the same investment.

I'm considering buying a pair of brown rockports and a pair of black AE's. I actually bought a pair of rockports in 12/11 and there is already a hole inside the shoe. I called amazon and they emailed me a return slip and will issue a full refund. I'm pretty impressed with amazon's customer service. I figured out a did a few things wrong...I wore the same pair everyday and didn't use a shoe tree.

Rockports aren't really dress shoes, I know they have some dressy styles but they are not what you want if you want dress shoes. Allen Edmonds sells mostly dress shoes. I am a big guy and used to think that the more "cushiony" Rockports were better but the solid support of my Allen Edmonds ended up being just as comfortable. I used to have Rockports as my go to shoes, they were what I almost always wore, but the quality on my last 2 pair were disappointing and my Allen Edmonds are nicer and do last longer. I am done buying Rockports, the money spent AE is worth it (also Aldens are a great choice).

That being said I can't say I would last 10 or 12 hours constantly on my feet doing sales...however, my brother does and he wears Johnston and Murphy's (which I also own).

Johnston and Murphy, I think those are what you are looking for, shoes that are better than Rockports that look like dress shoes and would probably help you through your day and are in between the two on price. I like Bostonians too for that matter, but I like the Johnston and Murphy as a closer to the feel of my Rockports and closer to the look of my Allen Edmonds alternative.

And if you can afford it get a least 2 pair of whichever you choose (or at least plan on getting at least a second pair soon) and rotate them and use shoe trees as this will more than double how long they last.

Dumb question...what do you mean by trying to find a deal on seconds? You mean used on ebay?

Direct from AE.

ALLEN EDMONDS FACTORY SHOE BANK OUTLET
201 East Seven Hills Road
Port Washington,Wisconsin 53074
262-284-7158
shoebank at allenedmonds.com

TENT SALE!!!!! 15% off all factory second shoes. $199 Factory Second Golf Shoes. Lasalle $139, Elgin $179, Calfskin Randolph $179, Burton $129, Park Ave $199, Mapleton $149, Walnut New Orleans $179 Positano $149. All socks 3 for $10. Shoe Trees $15.99

ALLEN EDMONDS SHOE BANK II OUTLET - GALLERIA WEST
18900 West Bluemound Road, Ste. 15
Brookfield,Wisconsin, 53045
262-785-6666
brookfield at allenedmonds.com

Our annual tent sale starts June 14th through the 24th. Save 15-50% on all factory second shoes, discontinued belts and more. Contact store for more details.

Direct from AE.

262-284-7158

TENT SALE!!!!! 15% off all factory second shoes. $199 Factory Second Golf Shoes. Lasalle $139, Elgin $179, Calfskin Randolph $179, Burton $129, Park Ave $199, Mapleton $149, Walnut New Orleans $179 Positano $149. All socks 3 for $10. Shoe Trees $15.99

262-785-6666

Our annual tent sale starts June 14th through the 24th. Save 15-50% on all factory second shoes, discontinued belts and more. Contact store for more details.

I've emailed the shoebank email address before and found some decent "seconds". I didn't purchase any because although they're discounted, they weren't discounted enough for my blood. YMMV though. It's worth asking and the communication was top notch.

Allen Edmonds company stores have what they call seconds (I think that is the term they use) on some models and sizes. If you are fortunate enough to find what you are looking for, I would be comfortable in purchasing them. I am not sure if the private shoe sellers have that category.

Regards,

Doug

I am also in outside sales and on my feet a lot. I think good shoes are important if you are in sales.
This may or may not be an option for you.
I rotate through about 10 pair of good dress shoes like AE, Aldens, Florsheim etc.
I have not paid more than $20 for a pair of good dress shoes.
Believe it or not I buy mine at thrift stores. I just picked up a pair of AE's that might of been worn once or twice, they were basically brand new, retail $325, I paid $12.
I am very picky about my thrift store shoes, I generally only buy high end, like new shoes, although I do have a few pair of vintage wingtips because you just cant get that kind of quality in new shoes.
Some people wont buy from a thrift store, especially shoes, but I find that I can wear a lot higher quality shoes and clothing if I buy used.
Today I didnt find any shoes but did buy 2 like new Brooks Bros shirts for $6 ea.
I wore these shoes today...this is a pic from when I bought them, needed a clean and a polish but turned out looking like new and are fantastic shoes
proxy.php

proxy.php

I bought these 2 pair of Italian shoes, brand new, never worn, $10 a pair...retail well over $500 a pair
proxy.php

proxy.php

Like I said it may or may not be an option...I love good shoes...I just dont like the price of them :001_smile

Here's my take. If you're going to wear them 5 days a week and can get two pairs of Rockports for the price of one pair of AEs, get the Rockports. I've owned many AEs and Aldens as well as Rockport/Florsheim/J&M and know that if you have one pair of shoes that you wear 5 days a week you will destroy them. It doesn't matter how much you care for them or how well they're built, 5 days a week in outside sales is HARD wear.

That being said, having two pairs of Rockports will allow you to rotate, allowing them to dry out between wears and last a lot longer. After a year or so maybe get a pair of AEs if you really want them and rotate them into your shoe cycle. At that point, as the Rockports die over the next couple years replace them with more AEs if you can and eventually you'll have 3 pairs or so which is enough to only wear a pair once or twice a week. Then for the next 30 years you'll never have to buy new shoes, just send them into AE for recrafting every few years.

I bought a pair of brown Rockports, they look really nice. I'll post pics tomorrow. I plan on buying a pair of black AE wingtips in the next week (I think I'm going to go with the MacNeils).

However...heres the wrench in the whole situation...I hear the news today that our company may be moving to dress code "2.0"--polos for summer/no ties in the winter. I'm not sure that wingtips will be a good look with polos/more casual look. Because the summers are so hot here in SC, I would do the "2.0" dress code in the summer but I still plan to wear shirt/tie/jackets in the winter. This may be a good excuse to grow my shoe collection to at least 6 or 7 pairs :)

Very insightful thread - I picked Rockports based on comfort points via folks on FlyerTalk. Too much time 5 days traveling as a consultant. But, this is definitely interesting information and very interesting thread. Thanks for posting this Nole1

PS: I now see GoodYear Welted shoes listed by Rockport - Is that legit?
PPS: Also, can a pair whose sole & top have come apart - If they were glued be Welted after or can only be reglued?
Direct from AE.

262-284-7158

262-785-6666

I haven't worn Rockports so I can't really comment on that comparison. But my typical work shoes (office setting) are Johnston and Murphy's. I like their cap toes and have several pair. I also have a pair of Allen Edmonds, also cap toe, that I bought to wear at my son's Bar Mitzvah. Setting price aside for the moment, I have to say that my AEs are far more comfortable than my JMs. It's not even close. Now onto price. I do not believe that the AEs are worth $325 or so that they are often priced. I typically pay about $125 for the JMs. But, when I bought the AEs, they were on sale and I paid $185 for a new pair. They were definitely worth that. But I also have not seen them on sale at that price or anywhere near that price since. Now, if I were independently wealthy or making big money job wise, I'd probably own several pair and wear them exclusively. I think the question of whether anything is worth it is different for any given person and depends heavily on the amount of available funds at their disposal.

OP from what Ive gathered the rockports are a better fit for your lifestyle and needs. buy a few pairs, or get one pair of rockports and some johnston & murphys

Rockports are great shoes and I have had several. For cars do you want a Chevy or a Cadillac? The Allen Edmonds would be manufactured in the USA with premium materials and methods and can be resoled if you want to keep them for many years. And the AE will look dressier.

Rockports might be more comfortable for walking. Take a look at Clarks while you're at it as they might be a little more dressy looking with all the other cost and comfort advantages of Rockports. If you want low cost and comfort, go with Rockport. If you want style and substance and can afford it, go with AE, which will likely have a leather and cork footbed which is also comfortable but not as soft if you do a lot of walking.

I recently got some AE boots based on B&B recommendations and liked it so much that I just bought another this past week. I can tell the difference in quality and looks that they will last me a long time. Their stores are very helpful if you want to try on the different styles. They have sales throughout the year.

I buy AE but have never had and have no intention of ever getting them resoled. $150 for new soles when you can wait till the clearance sale with 25% extra on their website or hit up an outlet and end up getting brand new for around the recrafting price. A recrafted 10 yr old shoe is exactly that.

kelbro

Alfred Spatchcock
My last pair of Rockports only lasted about 13 yrs, wearing them about every other day. Yep, the soles gave out and the uppers and insides were still fine. Not used on concrete but tile/carpeted office floors. Yep, they felt great but so do my 20 yr old Florsheims and 10 yr old Fryes.

The only way to know what is right for you it to invest in one or two brands that are new to you.

I love to wear and collect quality dress shoes. The only way I can afford it is buying "like new" used versions. "Sled Dog' has my total respect, he goes to thrift shops and buys wonderful quality for pennies. I buy the same shoes on Ebay, from folks like him, for much more money, but less work and more choices.

It would be fun to to know if anyone collects Rockports. I do know my collection of Alens, AE, Florsheims, etc. all are used by me, but will all out live me.

I'm breaking in a couple of new pairs of AE, Cornwallis and MacNeil 2.0 and the Cornwallis broke in a couple day but the MacNeil are killing me.

I'm considering buying a pair of brown rockports and a pair of black AE's. I actually bought a pair of rockports in 12/11 and there is already a hole inside the shoe. I called amazon and they emailed me a return slip and will issue a full refund. I'm pretty impressed with amazon's customer service. I figured out a did a few things wrong...I wore the same pair everyday and didn't use a shoe tree.
Rockports are good - but after owning AEs, I'll be starting with AE. Solid and comfy.

Top Bottom