What's new

From the ashes...restored to another life

1st time poster and restorer.
As a wet shaver and pipe smoker, I delve into multiple hobbies. Pipe restoration has been one I have done for many years. When I find old but restorable pipes, I will pick them up, clean/restore them and then give them to Senior citizens who are living on fixed incomes, especially the veterans (of which I am one).
The other day I was visiting an old gentleman (and he is truly a gentleman of the highest order), who needed a couple old pipes restored. Before I left, he asked if I could fix a dripping faucet in his bathroom, which I did quick enough. While there I noticed that he had a very well "appreciated" shaving brush that was this side of worn out.

Back home I was restoring his pipes, and saw that one of them was burning out on the inside, no use in restoring it, but I had an idea. I cut off the stem, sanded the area to the correct dimensions, and bored out the bowl a bit to fit a knot I had, that had no home.

When I returned his cleaned up pipes (and a couple others) and presented him with his new brush, the old gentleman nearly had tears in his eyes.

This is what makes life worth living...

Humbly

Al in Colorado $IMG_1737.jpg

Al,
You're a not only a good man, but a talented on also. I had to give up pipe smoking years ago and may have a few of them around. I'd be happy to send them to you if you think they'd be of use and give some pleasure to some folks. Don't know what I have, but if you're interested, I'll check.
m

Great story, I'd suggest reposting this in "the brown leaf" forum section. Many of our
members who frequent that area would appreciate that story.

Al,
Here's a pic of the pipes. They are, from top to bottom:

Lorenzo Rio
Savory's of Oxford
Savory's of Oxford (again)
Bari (I think)
Astley's 109 Jermyn Street
Skaal - hand carved Denmark (The only one of the 6 I remember smoking. Great pipe.)

View attachment 253207

First rate post. Your words were a joy to read and you've done a wonderful job turning something unusable but surely well-"appreciated", as you say, into a most handsome brush. Welcome to B & B.

Thanks for all the positive comments (blushing). We all do things to help our fellow man, because we know it is the right thing to do. We can all learn a lot from the older generation.
As to how I plugged the hole. I drilled it out a bit, then made up a mixture of glue and sanding dust, which pretty much matched the wood.
I plan to do severe more since it turned out so well.

Thanks
al in cColorado

I have a little token of thanks for the pipes you sent. They will make several senior citizens very happy.
I just had to thank you in an appropriate way.

A sneak peek...

humbly and with respect

al in colorado

$IMG_1742.jpg

I am glad you like it. I dabble in a little metalworking as well. I just thought the art deco style fit, and I have a thing for "o-rings".
I hope it serves you well my friend

Al

Top Bottom