What's new

Help: Face Feels Dry

I've been using the proraso pre/post shave and shave cream in the new sensitive formula. My routine is to shower, put the pre shave on and let that sit while I lather the shaving cream. I then put the cream right over the pre shave and do my first pass. I then rinse and re-lather. The dryness seems to kick in either during the first pass or definitely by the second pass. I've tried washing my face in the shower and not washing it and the result is the same. My face doesn't feel lubricated enough. I've also tried the art of shaving pre shave oil and shave cream with similar results. Any tips, suggestions, etc? Thanks.

Is your water too hot or are you in the shower too long? Either or both of those factors may affect the moisture level of your face.

Is your water too hot or are you in the shower too long? Either or both of those factors may affect the moisture level of your face.
I do typically take a hotter shower before shaving then I would normally. I thought that might increase or speed up the process for shaving. I didn't know that water being too hot could cause the lack of moisture.

What kind of soap are you using on your face when you shower? If you're using regular soap that is where the dryness is coming from and you can fix the problem by using a moisturizing facial cleanser.

What kind of soap are you using on your face when you shower? If you're using regular soap that is where the dryness is coming from and you can fix the problem by using a moisturizing facial cleanser.

I have used both the Neutrogena Pre Shave Scrub and Cetaphil face wash.

I have used both the Neutrogena Pre Shave Scrub and Cetaphil face wash.

I don't wash my face before I shave, only after. I used a face scrub before shaving a couple of times; it made my skin sensitive and I had razor burn after shaving. I stopped using a face scrub before shaving.

I don't shower before I shave. What I do is to wash my face with a face soap, usually CeraVe. Also, I find it helpful to fully hydrate my face before each pass. All it takes is to sufficiently wet your face with your hands or wash cloth. Finally, be sure to use enough product and water when you make your lather.

Dry skin isn't due to lack of water, it's caused by lack of oils (which is why you address it with a moisturizer cream, not with a splash of water.) So overly hot water, too much prep, the wrong products, etc, can all strip oils from the skin and leave you feeling tight and dry.

Trial and error is your only friend here. Change only one variable at a time, but maybe drop the preshave, try cooler water, leave the lather on your face longer before shaving, maybe a few different soaps.

I was having problems with proraso giving me dry skin for a while, I tried what others had suggested and began to add glycerin to my lather. Four drops with green proraso and whatever kind of water I have in my area; and not only is my dry skin problem solved, my lather is also much fluffier and smoother. Pretty cheap fix to your problem because one little bottle of glycerin will last a LONG time.

I just wash my face with soap and water before shaving(I have an oily skin), and Proraso/SMN are the only 2 so far that leave my skin feeling dry and tight afterwards. I do not get the same effect with any other soap/cream.

Hot water and a different soap may be your issues. Instead of a scrub, try a glycerin soap. There is a brand, Grandpa's Old-Fashioned Soaps, that are all-natural and glycerin-based. SWMBO can't stand the smell of the pine tar, but I absolutely love it. It's very moisturizing, very effective, and is great prep before a shave. A gentler face wash might also help, since Cetaphil's Daily Facial Cleanser specifically says it removes oils. Most organic stores, such as Trader Joe's, sells, Grandpa's Pine Tar Soap. It's really cheap, and it might help.

And if nothing else, try using more water in your lather.

one of the reasons I used to hate shaving with carts was...that it would make my face feel dry and scritchy after the shave.

shaving soaps helped ..but

cold water shave is really working for me..I still have slight issues with most soaps
but tabac and cold water shave..and my face feels smooth and supple all day long.

Top Bottom