What's new

Not a big fan of my new EJ89.

Like the EJ 89 with a feather, but get a better shave with less passes with the R41. Mainly use the 89 for clean up duty on my neck after using my straights.

Mayby im wrong but i think some beards call for more aggressive razors!! I get a lot better more irritation free shave with a R41 than an ej 89.
+1. A more aggressive razor used correctly means less passes to reach the desired closeness.

Wow lots of questions and responses! The blades I used with the EJ were a Shark Stainless, 7 O'clock Green, and a Feather. Even with the Feather though there was some tugging, and after three full passes it looked like I shaved the night before! In my Red Tip I use Med Preps or Feathers. The Feathers get me soooo close with only two passes, but I usually get a weeper or two. Nothing major. the Med Preps work OK but the shave is less than desirable.

Reach for a slant next. It might be where you need to go...

proxy.php

I have the Muhle version and it works good for me. And if you make the handle havier? Instead of buying a havier handle I guess it's possible to use lead tape. Should be able to adjust weight and balance as you want. They use it a lot in racket sport and fishing.

A basic shaving question is: what razor is my skill level ready for? What will give me the best shave at this time in my shaving apprenticeship? The veteran shavers may love their R41s and Fatips and Webers because their skill level allows them to master and maximize what those razors can give.

If you're starting out, save yourself some money and disappointment...buy a cheap vintage OC and see how it treats you. When you're skill level grows, move up the razor latter.

Note: This comment is not necessarily for the OP but for the newer shavers.

Last edited:
Here's a tip: With the DE89 you have to go ATG at a somewhat steeper blade angle and you will get better results. I usually do one WTG pass to get most of the growth off, and then go ATG. Works awesome for me.

You can't get a really close shave with this razor doing multiple WTG or XTG passes as with other more aggressive razors.

All of the Jaggers use the same head and I have quite a few of them. I can get a BBS shave with any Jagger and a Feather blade in 3 passes with no burn whatsoever.. With the right prep and a little patience, I find I can get a great shave from almost any razor.

DE89 is the only razor I can shave every day with.... im a two pass shaver with maybe a 3 pass once a week if I want to be super smooth. I think there are more efficient razors for sure but nothing feels as smooth to me...not even close

Well I just don't know what my deal is. I put a Feather in my Red Tip and it was a tad bit smoother than the EJ, and the shave was a little bit closer. I got some decent razor burn however. I'm so frustrated! I think I'm just gonna give up and go back to my Red Tip/Med Prep combo. The shave I get with that is less than desirable, but at least I don't get any irritation. I'm starting to think the only answer for me is a damn straight!

A basic shaving question is: what razor is my skill level ready for? What will give me the best shave at this time in my shaving apprenticeship? The veteran shavers may love their R41s and Fatips and Webers because their skill level allows them to master and maximize what those razors can give.

If you're starting out, save yourself some money and disappointment...buy a cheap vintage OC and see how it treats you. When you're skill level grows, move up the razor latter.

Note: This comment is not necessarily for the OP but for the newer shavers.

disagree, i am a newbie, and the r41 right off the bat was an amazing shave for me..right from the first try..
YMMV , but every one has to find the right fit for themselves and
milder razor for a newbie and agressie for experienced is not always true.
I would say a newbie would be careful and slow, he might better benefit with an agressive razor that will teach him the right way to shave in short order.

do you find it works nice-----the soap/stubble build up should clean better i would think

it works just like an R41 with the added shims..but unlike the R41 where the blade is almost straight ,
in the de89 the blade is still at an angle..
for me with the shims , the de89 its like a milder R41.

as to the soap build up, I take apart and wipe down my razor after every shave ..so build up was never an issue for me.
but for those who leave the blade in the razor..shims might be an issue..you could get more build up because there are lots more nooks and cranies in there with the added shims.
just a guess..

Last edited:
Reach for a slant next. It might be where you need to go...

proxy.php

I had one of these bad boys when I was about 8 months into DE shaving. I should have given it more of a chance. I tried a few shaves with it and didn't really notice a difference. I'll admit though I'm pretty sure I only tried two or three blades at the most. I'm gonna consider getting another one now! I'm gonna try a few more blades in my EJ, and I have a Merkur 41C on the way as well. If those don't pan out I might just give the Slant another go!

Well I just don't know what my deal is. I put a Feather in my Red Tip and it was a tad bit smoother than the EJ, and the shave was a little bit closer. I got some decent razor burn however. I'm so frustrated! I think I'm just gonna give up and go back to my Red Tip/Med Prep combo. The shave I get with that is less than desirable, but at least I don't get any irritation. I'm starting to think the only answer for me is a damn straight!

When ever you change razors it can sometimes feel like you are shaving with boxing gloves. As your experience grows it becomes easier. Don't give up on either razor. Just realize it is part of the learning curve. When you do switch just have DFS as your goal while your muscle memory adjusts to the change

disagree, i am a newbie, and the r41 right off the bat was an amazing shave for me..right from the first try..
YMMV , but every one has to find the right fit for themselves and
milder razor for a newbie and agressie for experienced is not always true.
I would say a newbie would be careful and slow, he might better benefit with an agressive razor that will teach him the right way to shave in short order.

it works just like an R41 with the added shims..but unlike the R41 where the blade is almost straight ,
in the de89 the blade is still at an angle..
for me with the shims , the de89 its like a milder R41.

as to the soap build up, I take apart and wipe down my razor after every shave ..so build up was never an issue for me.
but for those who leave the blade in the razor..shims might be an issue..you could get more build up because there are lots more nooks and cranies in there with the added shims.
just a guess..
just the other day i read, somewhere one is not supposed to wipe the blades, it messes up the coatings, but then again would not hot water do something-----Hum

I went from a tech, to a slim and then an EJ89.

Loved the slim but couldn't Dial it over 3-4 without irritation and could NEVER load anything other than Astras in it.

Then I bought an EJ barley. 6 months of great DFS shaves but still the occasional burn from one too many passes on the neck - even with Feathers.

Then I decided to load a Feather into the slim, and dialed it to 7 (experiment time).

Made a really great lather and in 2 passes I was sold.

The slim is back as my daily shaver again - on 7 (9 after the weekend) and ONLY loaded with Feathers.

Lesson; YMMV and usually does...

just the other day i read, somewhere one is not supposed to wipe the blades, it messes up the coatings, but then again would not hot water do something-----Hum

I hand strop the blade before and after every use..
i read somewhere ..well somewhere here on this site..
hand stroping evens out the imperfections on the blade..aligns them so you get a smoother shave..
is it true?
i have absolutely no idea, derby or astra..both work for me for 5 shaves easy..i throw them out more because I think I should ..because its time rather than because they are dull or there is any tugging..
I do not wipe the blade using paper or towel..that will dull it for sure..
I wipe down the razor..hand strop the blade and put everything away..

and no hot water for me..leaves my face dry.. i am cold water shaver..

Last edited:
well, just ordered my first DE razor yesterday(before i saw this thread!)...EJDE89-barley chrome, interesting to read just how different experiences everyone has with different razors, blades and combos there of...I never thought there was so much to this "sport"...and I never planned on this becoming a "hobby" but it just might become such, the more i read and the more I "play"...

here's to hoping my first experience leaving behind the multiblade gillette cartridge life is a satisfying one...!

I did order a multiblade combo pack to go along with my new weapon, so i guess i will see how things go!

scott

Top Bottom