What's new

Tabac, how long will a puck last?

I'm not sure that anyone is old enough to know :biggrin:

Seriously... I've barely made a dent in mine (maybe 20% gone?) and I've had it since October.
It is not my exclusive, it is in a rotation with MWF and a couple of other soaps and creams, but normally I do not use a cream alone... it is a part of "Uberlather".

I've been rolling about 90% Arko since getting my LE Brush a little over a month ago, but before that, I'd say that Tabac and MWF were used for about 95% of my shaves (and I shave face and head), and Tabac probably accounts for about 60% of my total shaving for the last 8 or 9 months.
I also rinse at least 3 or 4 passes worth of lather down the drain every shave, so I'm not stingy with product.

If used exclusively 5 days a week, ~10 months, depending on how big your brush is, bigger Brushes need more soap. I normally use brushes with lofts of 50 or less and a knot range of 20-23mm.

I don't remember who said it first, but I enshrined their words in the thread "B&B Member's Classic Quotes"
"I've had marriages that didn't last as long as a puck of Tabac."

My first puck of Tabac lasted about 3 years. This is the backbone of my rotation during the winter months, starting in October and ending with the coming of Spring on March 21. I estimate that over 3 years, I got about 180 shaves from it. I normally SuperLather with Tabac Cream added, but that should not affect the longevity of the puck itself.

My math roughly agrees with mfToms59 ... it looks like he's getting about 200 shaves using it daily. I used it about twice a week, 5 months a year, substituting other soaps on occasion, but Tabac is my go-to during c-c-c-cold weather.

If you put away Tabac soap during its off-seasons, you will find it shriveled, cracked, and dingy looking when you come back to it. This is normal, and soaking it in water will restore the puck to what it was before. The color may change slightly. It starts off Ivory colored, but continued use will begin to turn it beige and even light brown in some parts. Again, this is normal, and doesn't affect performance at all.

But Tabac is in a league of its own. Even if I had to buy a new puck every year, I'd still use it, because nothing else even remotely comes close ... especially when you use the full range of Tabac products, including the Luxury Bath Soap, spray or stick deodorants, cream, ASL, ASB, and EdC. I need to snag up a bottle of Tabac shampoo and body wash next time I see it, to complete my collection, but its rarely in stock anywhere.

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like a puck may last up to a year as I will use Tabac from Monday to Friday and switch to creams on weekends.

Presently I'm waiting on a custom made shave mug from "Dirty Bird Pottery" which I think will hold at least 2 pucks.

If that is the case it may have years of usage.

Obviously, when questions such as this arise, the answer will come down to how heavily you tend to load your brush. I'm sure that I would get though a puck (and it is a large puck) in 3-4 months of daily usage- other shavers may take twice as long.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Obviously, when questions such as this arise, the answer will come down to how heavily you tend to load your brush. I'm sure that I would get though a puck (and it is a large puck) in 3-4 months of daily usage- other shavers may take twice as long.

Definitely. The 3017 guys would bang this one out in about 3 months or so. I have never had a new puck of soap that I used everyday, last longer than 3 months.

First the first year I wet shaved, I used Tabac about 5 days a week. The puck lasted about 14 months, and I didn't uses it down until it was absolutely gone. Eventually, I just capitulated and threw the rest of what was left in the garbage after I had my fill of it.

Hmmm... the replies seem to reinforce my impression of the first few weeks using Tabac. I really loaded up my horse hair brush with it and was surprised how little a dent was made to the puck. Another reason why I love this soap. Not that I needed anymore.

I'm getting close to the end of my first puck of Tabac-there's just a ring of soap left in the bowl right now. I got it last October and have been using it for, say, four shaves a week on average. So, eight months or so is about how long I'd get out of this soap. By the way, it will definitely be replaced as it has earned a spot in my top three soaps.

This thread pushed me over the edge. Picked up a package of cream to make sure I liked the smell (I love it!) It'll be in a rotation so happy to hear it'll last me plenty of time! I'll be ordering a puck and container later this week!

Going up to shower and shave with Tabac in a few minutes. It is pretty cool temperature wise tonight. I figured I will give my Proraso a break until it gets really hot again..

Top Bottom