What's new

Tabac, how long will a puck last?

I have been using mine since late feb or early march. with about three or four weeks off in total while I was trying other soaps or using something else on the weekend.
It looks like the more I use it the more it regenerates.
I promised myself I would finish it before I got MDC. will let you know how it goes...looks like its going to be a loooong wait.

I've had a puck of each for >5 years. I have 61 shaves on the puck of MWF and 83 on the Tabac, and neither one is anywhere near it's end. The Tabac even had a few shaves on it already when I bought it on B/S/T.

Both are fantastic performers, but when I think about 3017'ing either one, it seems like one of those "too hard to take on" tasks.

A shave stick smashed into a bowl only lasted me a month but there were a lot of test-lathers done during that time. I have a fresh puck-in-bowl and will bet that lasts longer. Even though the ingredient list is identical, the stick can be smashed with finger pressure. I can't put even a tiny dent in the puck without concern for smashing the glass tub. Something tells me that harder soap=longer lasting soap.

My puck of Tabac lasted exactly one shave. I really didn't like the stench of it, but decided to try because of all the rave reviews. I could still smell the odor of it hours after my shave, so I PIFd it. I honestly could not tell you how the shave was, because the smell was so bad to me. I hope whoever I PIFd it to doesn't hate me.

I had a puck of Tabac that I used daily in a “use what I have before buying any more”. For roughly daily use, it lasted me ~ 11 months. It still wasn’t entirely gone, but the remainder of the puck in the ceramic had started to swell from not really drying fully for one reason or another.

I call that my “year of Tabac”.

I don't know, I just did my first lather from the puck version of Tabac and it was great, much better than the stick even though they are supposed to be identical. I'm gonna 3017 this sucker and let everyone know once it's gone!

1726AF3A-B3D3-4A4C-9F44-510AB57E4BB1.jpeg

I just reached the bottom of the bowl after exactly 8 months (bought it on 17 August 2020). That is about 80 shaves, 10 shaves per month.
IMG_20210418_114142.jpg

Given the amount of soap left, I think it will last for another 2-3 months or so, which translates to 100+ shaves in total. I bought a refill for less than 9 euros (incl. shipping), so that puts the cost at under 9 cents per shave.

In the vast majority of the shaves I have been using an Omega boar brush, which I think tends to eat up the soap pretty fast. I never had to reload the brush during a shave, but I load it enough to allow me for a 3-pass shave + some extra lather in the end for clean-up and massaging the face.

Top Bottom