Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tabac, how long will a puck last?

Default Tabac, how long will a puck last?

Since I became a Tabac users I was wondering how long a puck will last?

Just wanted to know what mileage folks were getting.
    David

I'm not sure that anyone is old enough to know

Seriously... I've barely made a dent in mine (maybe 20% gone?) and I've had it since October.
    It is not my exclusive, it is in a rotation with MWF and a couple of other soaps and creams, but normally I do not use a cream alone... it is a part of "Uberlather".

I've been rolling about 90% Arko since getting my LE Brush a little over a month ago, but before that, I'd say that Tabac and MWF were used for about 95% of my shaves (and I shave face and head), and Tabac probably accounts for about 60% of my total shaving for the last 8 or 9 months.
    I also rinse at least 3 or 4 passes worth of lather down the drain every shave, so I'm not stingy with product.
    - Rich
    Proud Member: Knights of the Veg Table
    Proud Member: Cult of Arko
    Participant 2012 and 2013 Brown Leaf Mark Tinskey LE Pipe
    Participant 2012 Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 Keyhole

Images

If used exclusively 5 days a week, ~10 months, depending on how big your brush is, bigger Brushes need more soap. I normally use brushes with lofts of 50 or less and a knot range of 20-23mm.
    Tabacaholic since 1976

I don't remember who said it first, but I enshrined their words in the thread "B&B Member's Classic Quotes"
    "I've had marriages that didn't last as long as a puck of Tabac."

My first puck of Tabac lasted about 3 years. This is the backbone of my rotation during the winter months, starting in October and ending with the coming of Spring on March 21. I estimate that over 3 years, I got about 180 shaves from it. I normally SuperLather with Tabac Cream added, but that should not affect the longevity of the puck itself.

My math roughly agrees with mfToms59 ... it looks like he's getting about 200 shaves using it daily. I used it about twice a week, 5 months a year, substituting other soaps on occasion, but Tabac is my go-to during c-c-c-cold weather.

If you put away Tabac soap during its off-seasons, you will find it shriveled, cracked, and dingy looking when you come back to it. This is normal, and soaking it in water will restore the puck to what it was before. The color may change slightly. It starts off Ivory colored, but continued use will begin to turn it beige and even light brown in some parts. Again, this is normal, and doesn't affect performance at all.

But Tabac is in a league of its own. Even if I had to buy a new puck every year, I'd still use it, because nothing else even remotely comes close ... especially when you use the full range of Tabac products, including the Luxury Bath Soap, spray or stick deodorants, cream, ASL, ASB, and EdC. I need to snag up a bottle of Tabac shampoo and body wash next time I see it, to complete my collection, but its rarely in stock anywhere.
    DIY Signature Kit. Some Assembly Required.
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz123456790

I've had mine for 2 years and use it 3 times a week. I'm maybe halfway done
    Solo

I use it with a large Omega Boar brush and would estimate about 200-225 shaves.

Thanks for the replies.

It looks like a puck may last up to a year as I will use Tabac from Monday to Friday and switch to creams on weekends.

Presently I'm waiting on a custom made shave mug from "Dirty Bird Pottery" which I think will hold at least 2 pucks.

If that is the case it may have years of usage.
    David

You'll end up making a specific bequest in your will.
    -- John Noble Knight of The Veg Table, Proud member of BOTOC

I used to use Tabac exclusively. I overload my brush and a puck would last on average about 6 months.

Images

Obviously, when questions such as this arise, the answer will come down to how heavily you tend to load your brush. I'm sure that I would get though a puck (and it is a large puck) in 3-4 months of daily usage- other shavers may take twice as long.
    David

Way too long....
    I must to the barber's, monsieur, for methinks I am marvellous hairy about the face

Images

Quote Originally Posted by djh View Post
    Obviously, when questions such as this arise, the answer will come down to how heavily you tend to load your brush. I'm sure that I would get though a puck (and it is a large puck) in 3-4 months of daily usage- other shavers may take twice as long.
    Definitely. The 3017 guys would bang this one out in about 3 months or so. I have never had a new puck of soap that I used everyday, last longer than 3 months.
    Cheers,

Bob

I don't want to be a millionaire, I just want to live like one. - Dean Martin

Veteran of the Great Irisch Moos Campaign of 2008-9
    Proud Member of the Eagle Group Buy of 2010
    Soap For Hope is the Key - 2011
    The 3017 Journey - 1/1/2010 to 12/31/2013

Unfortunately a puck easily lasts one year of daily use.

First the first year I wet shaved, I used Tabac about 5 days a week. The puck lasted about 14 months, and I didn't uses it down until it was absolutely gone. Eventually, I just capitulated and threw the rest of what was left in the garbage after I had my fill of it.
    - Lucas

Hmmm... the replies seem to reinforce my impression of the first few weeks using Tabac. I really loaded up my horse hair brush with it and was surprised how little a dent was made to the puck. Another reason why I love this soap. Not that I needed anymore.
    David

I'm getting close to the end of my first puck of Tabac-there's just a ring of soap left in the bowl right now. I got it last October and have been using it for, say, four shaves a week on average. So, eight months or so is about how long I'd get out of this soap. By the way, it will definitely be replaced as it has earned a spot in my top three soaps.
    Cheers, Mike

This thread pushed me over the edge. Picked up a package of cream to make sure I liked the smell (I love it!) It'll be in a rotation so happy to hear it'll last me plenty of time! I'll be ordering a puck and container later this week!
    -Nick

Going up to shower and shave with Tabac in a few minutes. It is pretty cool temperature wise tonight. I figured I will give my Proraso a break until it gets really hot again..
    Paul
    Steward for Safety Razor Forum

Images

Forever and a day
    Jay LOSER, Cult of Arko, The CHOSEN

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast