What's new

How old are you Bay Rum aficionado's?

I'm 64 and have been aware of bay rum for almost all of that time. My dad and his dad used it. I still remember the large old-fashioned bottles around the house and in the local drug stores and five-and-dime stores. The brand names were store names, like Peoples (a drug store chain) or Woolworths. The scents were about the same, with little staying power and very light on cloves, if they even had any. I started using that stuff as a splash at about the time I started college. I've almost always kept some on hand and used occasionally since then.

nelson

I'm 64 and have been aware of bay rum for almost all of that time. My dad and his dad used it. I still remember the large old-fashioned bottles around the house and in the local drug stores and five-and-dime stores. The brand names were store names, like Peoples (a drug store chain) or Woolworths. The scents were about the same, with little staying power and very light on cloves, if they even had any. I started using that stuff as a splash at about the time I started college. I've almost always kept some on hand and used occasionally since then.

nelson

same story for me minus 1 year.

43 here. I enjoy bay rum very much. My first was Dominica, second was St Lucia. I like both of these very well, thought the Dominica edges the St Lucia by a nose. I recently purchased a bottle of Masters. It is likely to last me a LOOOOOOOOOONG time. It is much heavier than the island bay rums and I don't enjoy it near as much. Of course it was 90 degrees today. Perhaps I will like it better in the fall and winter.

33. Started with Royall then added C.O. Bigelow ASB, Dominica and finally Captain's Choice. Now I just have the C.O. Bigelow and Captain's. My favorite splash and balm, hands down.

Ben

I make my own Bay Rum....Started about 10 years ago. I make about six diff. fragrances right now.
When I think "OLD man" I think English Leather! I'm 64 and the first Big scent for me was Jade East.

54 at last count, and I love Captain's Choice! It's all I use, every day.

My wife is not fond of it, but the scent fades...

I'm 47 and had never used it until about 5 months ago. I don't recall even smelling it growing up.

I have about 6 different kinds now.

:w00t:

Old enough to know better and young enough to not care. Dominica and Ogalalla see frequent use with me. I'm not a big Old Spice fan but every once in a while i take it for a spin.

33 and I've loved Bay Rums since I can remember. It's a nostalgia thing - my grandfather would always throw it on me when I was young.

SWMBO thinks it smells like a dentist's office, so I keep it at my work.

44 and I do associate BR a bit with older gents (like me!). But it is a classic. I have a sample of Kramperts that I am going thru and it is great. I like it now but think I might like it even better in the fall/winter. BR rocks!

I am 60, and I love bay rum. Pinaud and Masters along with AV Blue and Musk are my go to's in the warm weather during the week. I tend to go up market on the weekends, when I roll out the Eaton College or Tabac.

33 and I've loved Bay Rums since I can remember. It's a nostalgia thing - my grandfather would always throw it on me when I was young.

SWMBO thinks it smells like a dentist's office, so I keep it at my work.

In my younger days many dentists used Lavoris mouthwash in their offices. Two or three years ago I bought a bottle of the Pinaud Clubman bay rum. After opening the bottle and putting a bit on my wrist to try it out, I discovered that its scent immediately brought back memories of the scent of the Lavoris mouthwash routinely used by dentists-cloves and cinnamon.

nelson

Top Bottom