What's new

How old are you Bay Rum aficionado's?

50. I just got a new bottle of Dominica in the mail today. My Father wore Bay Rum. He got hooked on it in the Navy. He was stationed in Key West in the 50's and spent a lot of time out on the islands. I have worn it since I learned to shave. My Wife likes it and it is the AS I carry when I travel.

48 and only really heard of it about 6 months ago as I am still a bit new to DE shaving.
Now I have: Pinauld VI, Ogallala, and Captian's Choice.

39 and I love bay rum. I don't think I even heard of bay rum before I started wet shaving 2 years ago. Personally I don't think it's an "old man" smell, but what do I know.

Curious , since you are close by, have you found any good shops to purchase shaving related stuff in the area?

BTW- Joe's Grog House has some real good gumbo

I havent found anywhere close for good shaving stuff i tend to just order everything.

The Grog House is nice but i tend to drink more there then eat. haha

Gad... reminded me how old I am... now I'm depressed... wait a minute... no I'm not... I like my experiences and I was so damn lucky that I really should NEVER go back. OK... I'm good now...

The only 'Old Man' scent to me is anything with clove in it. That includes some Bay Rum mixes (most have clove but Pinaud has too much for me). Reason? At my last position, one of the professors used clove as a cologne. He wreaked of it. He was totally old and dottering and when he passed on, I could still smell it at his funeral.

Old Spice was 'old' when I was young. I didn't like it then - although I occasionally wear the Family Dollar version which has a fresher smell to me.

Aqua Velva still sucks for me.

I like more sophisticated scents but popular fragrances seem to be a flash in the pan in some cases. I steer away from anything that is in vogue unless I truly like it... which is none of it right now.

Oh... I'm 462 in dog's years. You can see every one of those years on me. Proud of them for the most part... except that one time in Thailand...

I had not heard of it before, and actually ordered it by mistake while looking for Lime scents. Dominica with lime is just too good-I think I am happy to be old(er)!

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
I've seen multiple references that this is an "old man's scent"
I have only tried Dominica Bay Rum with Lime:001_wub:, and I am afraid I am getting old.
Born in 1965 an I can't wait try some of the other brands!!

I was born in '53. Can't disprove the claim by me. But I couldn't care less.

Dominica Bay Rum with Lime is my favorite. I've also tried Dominica Original, which I like though not quite as well, and Captain's Choice, which is a great product, I think, but it's a little "spicier" or something than my taste. Oh yeah, I have a bottle of the Pinaud so-called Bay Rum. It's completely overpowering to me.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
47 here and if it's not Old Spice it's probably Bay Rum. And the closer to Christmas, the more clove the better. I like it on Christmas day when the family comes over and says, "man, that ham in the oven smells good!" And then the look on their face when I tell them, "it's a turkey?" :blink:

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
47 here and if it's not Old Spice it's probably Bay Rum. And the closer to Christmas, the more clove the better. I like it on Christmas day when the family comes over and says, "man, that ham in the oven smells good!" And then the look on their face when I tell them, "it's a turkey?" :blink:

My nomination for best B&B post of the day!

BTW, 47 or '47?

I am 55 and I had never hear of Bay Rum until a couple of years ago.

I would use Old Spice every now and then, but really didn't use any aftershave or cologne until I got into Straight Razor Shaving. Then, for those times that I need a quicker Shave ... I got into DE/SE Shaving.

Now I have lots and lots of aftershaves and colognes ... Old Spice, Clubman, Captains, and many more.

I had read that Bay Rum was one of the original Aftershaves and use to really help cover up the fact that most folks didn't take baths very often. And I also heard that it also helps to keep away insects.

Barbers use to make their own Bay Rum Aftershave.

So for the heck of it ... I have taken some Spiced Rum and added a few ingredients and am letting it sit in a cool dark location until it is just right and then I will have some homemade Bay Rum Aftershave.

Unfortunately, once you add the Bay to the Rum ... it kind of makes the Rum undrinkable.

The Bay is ... the West Indian Bay Leaf or it's Essential Oil (pimenta racemosa)

Top Bottom