What's new

Thoughts on the Linen Side of the Strop?

Do you typically use the linen or similar material side of the strop?

• No, I mostly just go straight to leather.

• I use unpasted linen before leather.

• I use linen before leather, but the linen is pasted.

• It varies a lot for me.

• Personally, I haven't really figured it out yet.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I don't know that it does anything for the razor, but I use the linen side of the strop before moving over to the leather anyway. As I am still new to straight razor shaving, I just assume that the linen side is there for a reason. Do you use it?

Mine isn't pasted right now, I do have some Crox, but haven't decided if I want to paste it on the strop just yet.

Genuine linen is said to have a small amount of abrasiveness to it, it's not recommended to use paste on real linen. I know it improves a coticule edge, that's for sure.

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
Genuine linen is said to have a small amount of abrasiveness to it, it's not recommended to use paste on real linen. I know it improves a coticule edge, that's for sure.

Using an abrasive paste on linen will certainly not hurt anything but since it already seems to have abrasive qualities it would be a bit of overkill to apply another abrasive over it. Whatever paste was applied would then be doing all the work so why pay more or search out the real thing just to cover it up. If I was going to use pastes I would just select one of the many cotton or poly materials in use or use another leather strop for pastes.

Tony

I bought a hand-made strop from the mountains of Colorado when I got my razor, and the "linen" seems to be a thick nylon or polyester (needs to be melted and sniffed for a Rocky Mountain high). I'm a bit reticent to use it. What will it do to my blade? Should I be using it? Is it abrasive or slippery? Should I put paste on it?

From a vintage barber manual:
Canvas Strop

The Canvas or Linen Strop is generally used before final stropping on the leather strop. It's purpose is to provide a very honing to the razor's edge, replacing most of the keenness which was lost in it's last use. While it has proven effective for this purpose, it will not sharpen a dull.razor but will extend the period between honings.
This strop is composed of high quality linen or silk woven into a fine or coarse texture.

A fine-textured linen strop is most desirable for putting a lasting edge on a razor. To obtain the best results, a new canvas strop should be thoroughly broken in. A daily hand finish will keep its surface smooth and ready for stropping..For a hand finish, the canvas strop is given the following treatment:
Attach the swivel end of the strop to a fixed point, such as a nail.
Lay the strop flat on a smooth and level surface and hold the unsecured end firmly.
Rub a bar of dry soap over the strop, working it well into the grain of the canvas.
Rub a smooth glass bottle over strop several times, each time forcing the soap into the grain and also removing excess soap.
Many modern Linen strops.often come from the manufacturer pre-treated with a very fine chalk-based abrasive. These strops are generally quite stiff when new and do.not require any break-in.though their performance does improve with use. Over time the chalk abrasive may be worn away. It can be replaced with Linen Strop Paste, which is itself chalk-based and usually is either white or gray in color.

i use 100% cotton strop made from a belt. it exactly improves the edge before the leather but it is very noisy

i have 2 vintage canvas hose type strops 1 is almost like new the other is well worn they both work well. i use them as is with satisfying results. i have a cotton strop that i pasted years ago that see's limited use only. the other cotton strop is homemade and it also works well but my favorite is the well worn canvas hose, i think that it has always been someone's favorite, for a long time judging by its heavily worn state.

I just got my first strop with linen. Ill use it the way expected but Am curious to see results. The way I figure is someone who knows much more than me set it up that way then why not. I am very unexperienced but I will hopefully deliver the sharpest edge to my abilities. As long as it doesnt hurt ill try it.

I use the linen side before and after a shave. First time to prep the edge. The second time to ensure that the edge is dry.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I don't use anything for regular pre-shave stropping except leather. My daily strop is a Star Shaving Big Daddy and I normally just ignore the felt side. Post-shave, I give it a dozen laps on pasted balsa and that keeps it sharp seems like forever.

I don't use anything for regular pre-shave stropping except leather. My daily strop is a Star Shaving Big Daddy and I normally just ignore the felt side. Post-shave, I give it a dozen laps on pasted balsa and that keeps it sharp seems like forever.

What steps do you take to dry the razor prior to laying it on balsa?

Last edited:
My primary strop is an Illinois 127 with the 2nd component pasted with 0.5um CrOX.
I have a Mountain Mike's 3" that I take when traveling so I don't have to worry about the paste staining items in my bags.

One of these days, I'm going to log into Tony's site and he will be accepting orders on the same day that I have the funds to pick up one of his strops.
Last February after I got my tax refund, I'd check every day, but when he opened up for orders, he was always sold out by the time I got home from work (time difference on the west coast).

Maybe I'll just have to drive to his shop and then he'll feel too bad to refuse to sell me one :biggrin:

Top Bottom