What's new

Two Times then Throw Em Away!

Usually three; depends on the blade (Atra seems to last the longest). As has been pointed out, DE blades are so inexpensive it's really not worth the effort to try and squeeze more than 3 or so days out of a blade to save another $.20-$.50 - certainly not with all the damage a dull blade can wring. When I was a young lad (before carts were invented...) I'd try to squeeze a week out of a blade - and I'll note that there'd be quite a bit of surface rust by Day 7.

I have quite a few razors in my rotation, so it is difficult to remember when each blade was replaced. So usually, if I haven't used a razor for several days, I just replace it. In general, three shaves is my maximum. I don't think too much about the cost of the blades. Changing blades frequently is cheap insurance for my skin and besides, it is a drop in the bucket compared to what I have spent on razors and brushes.

Three to four for me for my fovorite blades (Personna Medical Prep & Feather), less for blades I am just trying out.

I could be mistaken, but don't blades deteriorate somewhat just by being exposed to the air? Let's say I only have to shave three times a week. I'm only using the blade three times, but its sitting out in the open air the rest of the week. As cheap as most blades are, it's just not worth pushing it another couple of shaves.

Now Feathers are another story probably, but since they cost more, you should get a few more shaves out of them.

Daily shaver with coarse, copper wire strong, thick beard...
At most 2 shaves and out no matter the razor or blade

Daily shaver with coarse, copper wire strong, thick beard...
At most 2 shaves and out no matter the razor or blade

EOD shaver with the same beard.

Feathers (my current blade) = 2 shaves
All else (only using feathers now) = 3 shaves

2 and out...Feathers, Astras...use the same rule. Can use Durasharps for one mediocre shave at best. Have not stropped anything but am curious about the results.

You really can't generalize on a subject like that, I think :001_smile

If you shave daily, then YES!

But since I only shave 3 times a week, since I enjoy a stubbled look and ladies tell me stubbles suit me, I seldom shave daily, only if I have to attend a meeting the next day.

So if I use a Feather or Gillette Blue on 2-3 days stubble and complete a 3 pass shave and touch ups I generally throw the blade out after just one shave.
If I use the same blade on 1-2 days stubbles, I will very often use it for 2 full 3-pass shaves + touchups and then bin it.

From time to time I use the same blade for 3 full 3-pass shaves, but that's only if I forget to bin it and am too lazy to go find a new one - then I take the chance and complete the shave for a 3.rd full shave with it.
If however during that 3.rd shave I find that the blade pulls and drags unnecessarily much, I will throw it out in the middle of my shave and get a new one :straight:

I don't track my blade use. Each blade is different, even within the same 100 pack. When it doesn't glide smoothly - time for a new one. YMMV!! As always!

I went camping recently and forgot to pack an extra blade. Used the blade I had 5 times... and it was great. Got home, and decided to roll with it, used it another two, and it was finally dull. Haven't been able to repeat this though.

2 and out. Blades are super cheap, no reason to be stingy also it is easier to keep track of the blades usage...if there is a blade in the razor then it is a second shave on that blade. As soon as I am done with the second shave, I remove it from the razor and trash it in the blades bank. This way I can try different blades and in different razor and know that I am only using the blades twice maximum no reason to keep track of the blades usage in different razor.

3 and out, it just does not pay for me to go that extra day - I find the blade deteriorates quickly after day three and shaves are rough. With the cost of blades being as low as they are, I just don't see the benefit of pushing the blade one more shave.

Now, when the shaveapocalypse comes, all bets are off.

I would spend less than $1.00 a week if I changed the blade every day (Astra SP at $11.50 per 100). Mine go 2 shaves.

I try blades in 5-packs first. My minimum standard is 3 quality, smooth, close shaves or I trash them. I buy in 100 quantity if they meet my standard. This method assures me of a selection of blades that I mix and match with the razors in my collection that I know will produce comfortable and close shaving experiences. That this is also the least expensive method doesn't hurt. Right now, I have about 700 blades in my stash, and not one I wouldn't be happy to use exclusively.

i have 2 shaves then bin the blade, although i did have a 3rd shave with one this week and did get more irritation so wont be doing that again.

Gillette 7 o'clock greens and yellows normally.

Top Bottom