What's new

Using the same brands together.

I'm not having a good time of things at the moment so approached a well known shaving supplier for some advice.

As well as going over pre-shave prep, razor angle and skin tautness, one other piece of advise was 'Use branded products together". i.e. if you are using Prorazo shave cream, also use the pre-shave prep and the aftershave balm.

The rationale for this is that all the products are designed to be used together, so they complement and help each other.

Now, I have not been shaving long and I have certainly not used a wide variety of products and whilst this advice seems to make sense, I am not an expert and it could well be marketing hype.

What makes me pause is that I don't see this advice advocated here, indeed in the SOTD section there seems to be a wide variety of products used in the same shave.

So I will defer to those wiser and more experienced that I - Marketing hype or is there an element of truth to this advice?

Jules

Personally, I believe that is straight up marketing hype. After all, you were asking a supplier....

Maybe there is some slight logic to the idea that a preshave lotion or oil and a shaving cream might be designed to work together, since they are actually on your face at the same time. I don't really buy that, though, since the creams/soaps are all designed (Hydrolast aside) to be used independently - no preshave needed.

And when it comes to aftershaves, then it is total, absolute malarchy. Aftershave is to treat and condition your face after shaving. It has nothing to do with what cream or soap you used, and everything to do with your skin, and how much damage you did to it while shaving.

-Mo

I'm not having a good time of things at the moment so approached a well known shaving supplier for some advice.

As well as going over pre-shave prep, razor angle and skin tautness, one other piece of advise was 'Use branded products together". i.e. if you are using Prorazo shave cream, also use the pre-shave prep and the aftershave balm.

The rationale for this is that all the products are designed to be used together, so they complement and help each other.

Now, I have not been shaving long and I have certainly not used a wide variety of products and whilst this advice seems to make sense, I am not an expert and it could well be marketing hype.

What makes me pause is that I don't see this advice advocated here, indeed in the SOTD section there seems to be a wide variety of products used in the same shave.

So I will defer to those wiser and more experienced that I - Marketing hype or is there an element of truth to this advice?

Jules

I've always felt an internal urge to use like-branded products together. For years I've pretty much used only American Crew together, or Neutrogena together. The Williams Soap I've used forever is pretty neutral, so it goes with anything. I've just assumed they would work better together.. and also I don't like conflicting scents. Recently, I've added a few more "products" to my lineup, I still try to keep with "like scents" - as far as performance goes, I've evaluated each on their own merits, and haven't had any major problems.

My personal opinion after reading this site for a few months.. whether or not one finds success at "DE" shaving depends a LOT MORE on your skin and technique, rather than any products you slap on it..

-Mason

Aside from matching scents, I don't see how matching brands would generate any kind of advantage over using Proraso with Musgo Real AS. That just seems like marketing dribble. I personally like to match scents when applicable, I always seem to grab the matching Floris ASB when I use their creams. And I will wear the matching EdT as well.

I'll weigh in with a "yes, but..." response.

In a previous life, my work required knowledge of skin care products. Yes, manufacturers do recommend sticking within their lines--why wouldn't they? I don't think it's necessary, but I do think it can provide a good base line. If Jules is really having trouble with product, he might try starting with a single line, then he can measure if, say, one product is great while another is too oily. Then he can adjust, keeping what works and replacing what doesn't. It's also a slightly more controlled way to discover sensitivities and allergies.

It's worth noting that I'm not at all product-intensive; my regimen is monastic by B&B standards. So maybe I shouldn't be responding at all...

I tend to use branded products together but for me it's more about layering the scent than "special formulation." It sounds like marketing hoowee to me.

I have the impression that some companies make honest attempts at coordinating their products within a certain line. Weleda, for example, comes to mind. They are probably trying to remove redundancies or even counter-productive situations. Both of those can occur when using "random" products. I think the problem is to figure out if there are any negative effects from mixing brands. So, most gents will just use what smells and feels good, irrespective whether it makes actual sense or not. I know I have been guilty of that, and I only identified redundant or clashing products by digging deeper.

Best - MM

Um... Isn't the point to use what smells and feels good? And what would be redundant/clashing? I mean, smells could clash, but that should be pretty obvious. And I guess I see people splashing half a dozen things on their face that are probably redundant. But, that's not really negative....

-Mo

Dollars to donuts, your problems are more likely related to
1-technique,
2- possibly blade choice,
3- possibly prep
than anything having to do with mixing and matching products.

Marketing hype hands down.

You could have crappy prep, crappy technique, and a crappy blade for your beard and skin type, and you could use all Proraso products (for example), and you are still going to have problems. Focus on the prep, technique, and blade, and use whatever you like based on scent, moisturizing quality, etc.

Top Bottom