Several members lately have pointed out that the GD quality is improving, and that all these modifications we have been doing are not always necessary just to make a shaver out of one. I just got 10 of them in, and the wheels started turning while I was enjoying a nice deluge in my new shower.
I just picked the best of the litter, so to speak, breadknifed it, set the bevel and honed it up. They are definitely getting better. I used maybe 1000 laps total. Breadknifer and rough bevel setter was a 200/300/400/600 diamond 4-sided combination hone from Harbor Freight, about $12, and I didn't bother with the 200 grit side. Then I did a hundred laps on the 1k side of my old 1k/6k combo stone, then did 5u, 3u and 1u film over polished marble tile, then stropped on 1u and .25u diamond pasted balsa and finished up on the Big Daddy hanging strop. Shave was all I could ask for, considering I used cold water and no mirror. I will call it DFS over 95%, with one pass. One small nick at the adams apple. Could have been better... wasn't the razor's fault.
The edge looks pretty good except for about 1/8" at heel and toe, each. I do think to get that heel properly, I would have to remove the stabilizer, but it is a usable shaver as it is. The spine is of course a little too thick, but I used a bit of pressure on the spine and got it down where the bevel angle isn't bad. I didn't measure. My tools and stuff are all over, from building my new shower stall on my boat and I am not about to look for my vernier scale or dial caliper. I will estimate it at 17-1/2 degrees tho.
Anyway, 20 minutes working time, I guess, to turn a under-$4 razor into a decent if unspectacular shaver. Good things are happening in Ningbo.