What's new

Considering these pens: Sheaffer Imperial IV and Pilot Heritage 92

I'm thinking about buying one or both of these soon.

Anyone have either one of these? How do you like them? Pros/Cons?

Got any pics you can show with some popular pens next to them?

I have a 1995 Triumph Imperial (I guess this is another name for IV?) and it's my best writer. Very smooth, but also fairly wet.

I am sorry to say that they are both beautiful pens.
I have a Pilot heritage 91 which I think is very close to the 92 and I also have a Sheaffer 440 which is close to the Imperial IV.
They are similar in size and weight and both are a joy to write with, though I give a small edge to the Pilot nib for smoothness. Don't get me wrong, the Sheaffer is still a great writer, however it is far better looking than the Pilot.
I think the Imperial IV had both a touchdown and cartridge model.

I ended up buying both pens, plus another Sheaffer...I got an Imperial II in Blue to go with the Imperial IV because Peyton Street Pens was offering a discount code on orders over $100. The Sheaffers are both NOS pens from the 60s with Touchdown filler systems. Never used one of these before and excited to try it.

The Pilot will also be my first demonstrator...trying to decide what color ink to put in that one...

Will post pics when I get the pens.

I ended up buying both pens Will post pics when I get the pens.

B&B blood running through your veins.!!!

I really like sheaffer nibs, I find them smoother than P51's plus the nibs are very cool looking.

Use a little discretion when choosing inks for your demo pen, don't use baystate blue, and reds and browns tend to stain more than others.

Yeah, I avoided Baystate altogether due to the mixed reviews on it and the fact that it's very potent stuff.

I do have some other Noodler's Bulletproof inks and some Private Reserve Invincible Aqua Blue...I could also put Namiki blue in it but I'm tempted to put something besides a "normal" blue ink in it.

Anyone know how R&K Scabiosa would fare in a demonstrator?

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I ended up buying both pens, plus another Sheaffer...I got an Imperial II in Blue to go with the Imperial IV because Peyton Street Pens was offering a discount code on orders over $100. The Sheaffers are both NOS pens from the 60s with Touchdown filler systems. Never used one of these before and excited to try it.

The Pilot will also be my first demonstrator...trying to decide what color ink to put in that one...

Will post pics when I get the pens.

Well, I see you did the sensible thing :001_smile Give us your impressions of the touchdown filling system.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Yeah, I avoided Baystate altogether due to the mixed reviews on it and the fact that it's very potent stuff.
It causes cancer in laboratory rats :biggrin:

Seriously, I have it in my Al-Star and Studio. I personally love the ink.

I have a vintage Imperial IVTouchdown that I restored and it is my daily carry. I love it. I get comments on it whenever I use it in public. I love having Five O'Clock Shadow in it. It will probably be the only color I use in it. I'll keep buying them when I see them. I have two touchdown fillers and love the filling system.

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
I ended up buying both pens, plus another Sheaffer...

You made the right choice! Be sure to let us know which you like best. I would have said the Sheaffer if it had to be only one but I do really like my Custom 74.

Top Bottom