What's new

Help me choose a Simpsons...

Marco's write up on the new Simpsons Cream stirred my AD and despite recently picking up an SR 3824 I'm planning on getting some of that Simpsons Cream...and a matching brush! Yep, OCD is a b@tch!

Can you help me?

To assist with your advice I predominantly bowl-lather (90+%), my "first-line" lathers include the Fat, new form Proraso creams & soap, I've also got Cella, Arko, EJ seabuck & sandalwood and a couple of TOBS, TTT and Trumpers creams.

I currently have an SR 3824, an EJ BBB, Omega 49, synthetic and they get used in that order.

I like the softness of the SR and also the backbone. The bulb-shape also pleases me aesthetically.

Your thoughts?

Last edited:
polo in the knot of your liking

+1 This would be my top recommendation for a Simpsons bowl brush (Polo 12)

Other options for decent bowl lathering Simpsons (in order of my preference):

Harvard H 4 (or larger)
Persian Jar 3
Emperor 3

If you want to move outside of the Simpsons brand I would recommend

Kent BK8 (my favorite bowl lathering brush). I like it better than any Simpsons I own. It is the king of the bowl in my den.

Da Vinci 290 (maybe nicer than the Kent but I need to play with it more to know for sure)

Both the Kent and Da Vinci have VERY nice bulb shapes. Da Vinci has a 60mm loft. Kent has a 55mm loft. I just did a review of the Da Vinci 290 a few days ago if you want to see what I thought of it. http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/297106-Da-Vinci-290-Globe-Handle-Brush-Review

proxy.php

Ooooh. I like the look of that Kent BK8. I've always thought that the handle on that one would feel really nice in my hand :wink2:. It just looks like a very good bowl/scuttle lathering brush.

I have an Emperor 3 in 2 band Super. It's a wonderful brush if you think you might like something smaller than a Polo. I've never used a Polo so I can't comment. In fact, the only Simpson brush I've ever used is my Emperor 3.... but I really like it. It's soft and has great backbone.

Ben

Thanks guys.

The polo looks like it's got a rockin' big handle. Hadn't considered the Kent but I'm loving the Fat (got the Kent version) so I could see myself pleasantly satisfied lathering Kent with a Kent too...

Crap, this could get ugly...

U have a SR3834?? I didn't know they made a knot bigger than 32mm.....unless that was a typo and u meant 3824? If so, the kent would make a wonderful companion.

Simpsons for bowl lathering? Emperor in Super, 50's series in Best or a Beaufort in Pure. Pick your size. Awesome bowl handles.

I have a 58 in best that is a champ for bowl lathering. Has enough backbone for soaps and soft tips.

Depends on what size knot you're looking for. If your SR really is a 34mm and you like larger knots the Polo 10 at 27mm could be an option.

proxy.php

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
I think any brush in the Fifty, Polo and Persian Jar Series would be great. My personal choice would be a Polo 8 Best.

I have had a great time with my two band polo 8 in super. Two bands to do nicely in bowls, and has the backbone you are looking for. I have found the two bands are a bit more scritchy than the super or best offerings tho has a soft feel at the same time.Two band polo is a great "painting" type brush with excellent flow.

One of my favorites for the bowl is the Tulip 3 in super. Fantastic all-around brush with decent backbone and good flow. With the B&B discount at one of our vendors it can be had for <$160.

My favorite luxurious brush, which can most definitely whip up some mean bowl lather, is my Tulip 3 2band. I highly recommend it!

I've been lusting for a Simpson and like the look of a Colonel or Berkely series. Where's the cheapest place to get them? And are the 'lower end' Simpsons far below the quality of the higher end ones? I've got to save my pennies so I want to make the right choice :)

I've been lusting for a Simpson and like the look of a Colonel or Berkely series. Where's the cheapest place to get them? And are the 'lower end' Simpsons far below the quality of the higher end ones? I've got to save my pennies so I want to make the right choice :)

Nick, I think the Berkeley 46 (cheapest shipped from wcs w/ discount code... or used from the B/S/T) is one of the best deals in badger brushes. It's a fantastic all-rounder, and it definitely has a decent heft and a great quality feel to it. Highly recommended.

Most definitely agree with the Berkeley, especially for face lathering. Mine replaced my C&E BBB, and I have never looked back!!

Top Bottom