What's new

Colorado Fishing in August

My wife and I are going to be spending a week at Steamboat Springs in August and I'm hoping to spend a couple of days fishing. Is there good trout fishing in August?
I'm not necessarily looking for trophies-- just some fun, beautiful scenery and a nice dinner. I'm not real handy with a fly rod but I can manage. I'd most likely be wade fishing unless there's a big advantage to renting a canoe or something. Will 4 mm neoprene waders be too hot in August?
Thanks, any advice will be appreciated.

It's been a while since I lived there and never did any stream fishing when I did. I wouldn't think neoprene would be an issue up there. It still gets cold at night, and there can be snow above the tree line on some days.

From my experience on the lakes, I wish I would've taken up fly fishing the streams.

I'm sure some here are more knowledgeable than I.

Never hurts to have the waders even in August. Usually the mountain temps are ~20 degrees cooler than lower elevations, and the water that high up stays fairly cold all year long. There are a bunch of fly fishing forums for Colorado rivers, I personally don't fly fish much but check those out for pointers on specific sections of the river.

Thanks for the help.
Can you rank the following on quality of eating: Walleye, Pike, Trout (specify type)?
Also, some bodies of water require only lures or flys, is it legal to use things like Berkley Power Baits like worms?

Thanks for the info. It looks like August is the worst time to trout is in Colorado. I'm researching a couple of high altitude lakes in the Zirkel Wilderness Area. I'm really just looking to have some fun and bring home (or back to the condo) some dinner. Brook trout have me intrigued because they seem to be plentiful and harvesting a few might help the cutthroat trout fishery.

I live in Colorado and fish whenever I get a chance (never enough). You picked a great place to visit and a great time of the year as well. This year has been unusual, many of the reservoirs are around 30 feet low, and the running water is low too. Many of the lakes, rivers and streams have specific guidelines about what you can/cannot use for lures and bait, just check the 2012 CO fishing regulations and your specific body of water and they should be spelled out pretty simply. License fees are pretty reasonable IMO, and if you’d like a local tip, pay the extra $5 to be able to have an additional line in the water. For what its worth if you have not been fishing here or in mountain lakes or streams you are going to learn why it’s called fishing and not catching. Good luck, have fun and enjoy your trip.

Top Bottom