Thread: Electric razor vs safety blades

Default Electric razor vs safety blades

Hi everyone,
    when I graduated from high school my parent got me a electric razor. To this day I can still shave with it. Now I'm having a hard time understanding how safety blades and straight razors that are solid metal loose their edge and become dull after getting in contact with skin.

What are the blades in a electric razor made of and why do they last this long compared to manual razors?
    BOTOC

You are supposed to change the blades in the electric razor periodically..... all metal edges dull eventually, there is no miracle metal in your electric razor...

Deep South, USA. Between Muscle Shoals and Sand Mountain

No offense meant, but I think you have come to accept a dreadful shave as normal.

Here's why...
    Think "Lawn Mower".... it doesn't have to be sharp to chop.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Razor vs Electric shaver.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	108.2 KB 
ID:	251864
    - Rich
    Proud Member: Knights of the Veg Table
    Proud Member: Cult of Arko
    Participant 2012 and 2013 Brown Leaf Mark Tinskey LE Pipe
    Participant 2012 Rudy Vey Shavemac D01 Keyhole

Cool pics!
    "Shaving like a banker...Lilac Vegetal!" Clutch

Images

You're supposed to replace the cutting parts every year or so on an electric.
    If you don't then, as said, you're just slowing getting used to a lousier and lousier shave.
    Just call me Chris.

Images

They should include those pics on every Braun sold...
    Paul aka Mad Man. M&F Chief Grouo Buy 2013. Former steward of the Newbie forum.

Quote Originally Posted by britewhiteram View Post
    You are supposed to change the blades in the electric razor periodically..... all metal edges dull eventually, there is no miracle metal in your electric razor...
    ^ This. If you like the electric now then try replacing its blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Go West Young Man View Post
    You're supposed to replace the cutting parts every year or so on an electric.
    If you don't then, as said, you're just slowing getting used to a lousier and lousier shave.
    wow thats the 1st time ive heard or read about replacing the blades in a electric razor. Ah well ill go to more knowledgable tonight hehe thanks guys
    BOTOC

Images

This was what drove me to the sensor, years ago. I found that with my beard, I had to replace the cutting head in my Braun every six months. The sensor seemed cheaper, and at the time I knew nothing about traditional wet-shaving.
    gear | FAQ | google B&B | vendor search | shaving jazz
    "People set a lot of store by shaving." — Pratchett, Monstrous Regiment

Electrics work like electric scissors- the blades are in constant contact with the screen and rely on the interference fit between the blade and screen to be effective. E.g., take a pair of scissors, bend the blades slightly apart, and cut a sheet of cardboard. It will work, but the "cut" will be very rough. If you want to go all tech-geek, you can buy moly-lube, and coat your new shave head(s) and the inside of the screen with moly to reduce friction, and extend cutter life.

Manufacturers realized sometime ago that they could make more money, simply selling a HOTNEWSHAVETECHNOLOGY!!!!​ razor, vs. the cutting heads(in quantity). no different than the safety razor evolution from user-maintained wedge blades, to user maintained "disposables", to fully disposable blades, to fully disposable razors.

Images

Two things come to mind. They don't touch the face, so they don't need to be as sharp, and they don't erode from contact with skin and soap.

I don't know what they're made of, but they could be made of higher grade materials. They're certainly a lot more expensive than disposable SE or DE blades. What mostly breaks is the grains of steel get loose by the stress of rubbing on your face or cutting the hair.

Since the blade in an electric doesn't touch your face, they'll still work with some erosion. If you put an eroded blade on your skin, you'd easily get cut.
    --steve